St. Lucia will not change its decision to re-establish diplomatic relations with Taiwan, despite intimidation from China, St. Lucian Minister of Foreign Affairs Rufus Bousquet said on Thursday.
Stressing that St. Lucia is a sovereign country with the right to choose its allies, Bousquet urged China to stop interfering in his country's internal affairs.
Bousquet told the Central News Agency that since becoming aware of St. Lucia's plan to restore ties with Taiwan, Beijing has threatened to terminate its cooperation projects with St. Lucia and even withdraw from the Caribbean Development Bank, a financial institution assisting Caribbean nations in financing social and economic programs.
Between mid-March and late last month, when St. Lucia's Cabinet was debating whether to resume diplomatic ties with Taiwan, China suspended various development projects it funded in St. Lucia, including a mental hospital near the capital, Bousquet said.
He said that Beijing had also asked the leaders of its allies in the Caribbean region as well as the secretary-general of the Caribbean Community to call St. Lucian Prime Minister John Compton to exert pressure on his country.
St. Lucia first established diplomatic ties with Taiwan in 1984, but then switched diplomatic recognition to Beijing in 1997.
The Caribbean nation announced its decision to restore diplomatic relations with Taiwan April 26. On April 30, Bousquet and his Taiwanese counterpart, James Huang (
A confidential document obtained by Taiwan said that China, in an effort to persuade St. Lucia not to restore ties with Taiwan, had put forth an economic and technological project worth 300 million yuan (US$38.93 million) and offered to donate US$3 million to the St. Lucian government and provide it with interest-free loans.
Last week, China increased its offers to US$300 million in donations and US$1 billion in loans for the St. Lucian government, as well as US$1.5 million for each member of Parliament, said Lee Chao-cheng (李朝成), head of Taiwan's embassy in St. Lucia.
Lee said a cutthroat diplomatic battle between Taiwan and China was going on in St. Lucia amid China's attempt to reverse the situation, but Taiwan would not resort to checkbook diplomacy as China had.
Meanwhile, Bousquet said the new St. Lucian government led by Compton -- a long-time friend of Taiwan -- had originally not intended to deal with the issue of its ties with Taiwan so early, but the Cabinet's overwhelming support for the resumption of St. Lucia-Taiwan relations prompted Compton to make the announcement last week.
Noting that Compton and his United Workers Party had promised to boost St. Lucia's agricultural development, increase employment opportunities for its citizens and narrow the urban-rural development gap, Bousquet said that he believed Taiwan has strong abilities to assist St. Lucia achieve these goals.
Considering that most countries issue more than five denominations of banknotes, the central bank has decided to redesign all five denominations, the bank said as it prepares for the first major overhaul of the banknotes in more than 24 years. Central bank Governor Yang Chin-lung (楊金龍) is expected to report to the Legislative Yuan today on the bank’s operations and the redesign’s progress. The bank in a report sent to the legislature ahead of today’s meeting said it had commissioned a survey on the public’s preferences. Survey results showed that NT$100 and NT$1,000 banknotes are the most commonly used, while NT$200 and NT$2,000
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the first case of a new COVID-19 subvariant — BA.3.2 — in a 10-year-old Singaporean girl who had a fever upon arrival in Taiwan and tested positive for the disease. The girl left Taiwan on March 20 and the case did not have a direct impact on the local community, it said. The WHO added the BA.3.2 strain to its list of Variants Under Monitoring in December last year, but this was the first imported case of the COVID-19 variant in Taiwan, CDC Deputy Director-General Lin Ming-cheng (林明誠) said. The girl arrived in Taiwan on
ANNUAL EVENT: Two massive Pokemon balloons are to be set up in Daan Park, with an event zone operating from 10am to 6pm This year’s Taipei Floral Picnic is to be held at Daan Park today and tomorrow, featuring an exclusive Pokemon Go event, a themed food market, a coffee rave picnic area and stage performances, the Taipei Department of Information and Tourism said yesterday. Two massive Pokemon balloons are to be set up in the park as attractions, with an exclusive event zone operating from 10am to 6pm, it said. Participants who complete designated tasks on-site would have a chance to receive limited-edition souvenirs, it added. People could also try the newly launched game Pokemon Pokopia in the trial area, the department said. Three PokeStops are
South Korea is planning to revise its controversial electronic arrival card, a step Taiwanese officials said prompted them to hold off on planned retaliatory measures, a South Korean media report said yesterday. A Yonhap News Agency report said that the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs is planning to remove the “previous departure place” and “next destination” fields from its e-arrival card system. The plan, reached after interagency consultations, is under review and aims to simplify entry procedures and align the electronic form with the paper version, a South Korean ministry official said. The fields — which appeared only on the electronic form