Declining to comment on whether his son and daughter-in-law would return home to have their first baby, President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) yesterday said that seeing the stock market go up to 10,000 points in two years was no pipe dream.
"I hope the public pays more attention to the country's future and livelihood-related issues," he said. "Don't politicize everything. I believe it is not a dream that the stock market will go up to 10,000 points within two years."
When Chen was elected president in March 2000, the TAIEX soared to 8,700. It closed at 7,427 on Friday, up 42.67 points.
PHOTO: LIN CHIH-CHING, TAIPEI TIMES
Chen made the remarks yesterday in response to a question about his son and daughter-in-law while inspecting the construction of a section of the east-west expressway connecting Bali (八里) and Xindian (新店).
The media asked him whether his son, Chen Chih-chung (陳致中) and his wife, Huang Jui-ching (黃睿靚), would return home to have their first baby. The president did not answer the question instead asking the media to focus on the economy.
Recent media reports have claimed that the couple was living an "extravagant lifestyle" in New York.
The couple issued a statement on Saturday dismissing the reports and urging the media to respect their privacy. They also dismissed claims that the real reason they were in New York City was to have their first baby born in the US, which would entitle the child to US citizenship.
Despite the president's pledge that the couple's first baby would be born in Taiwan, the couple has been staying in the US since returning there last month. The baby is due in January.
During yesterday's inspection trip, Chen expressed the hope that the expressway section between Bali and Wugu (
The 10.9km, NT$14.1 billion (US$440 million) section is the third priority segment of the 36.9km, NT$33.1 billion project connecting Bali and Sindian.
The first priority segment between Tahan Bridge and Showlang Bridge was opened to traffic on Feb. 1 last year. The continuation of the first priority segment between Tahan Bridge and Wugu Hsin Wu Road is expected to be completed by the end of next year.
Completion of the second priority portion of the project is expected by the end of this year and that of the third priority section by March 2008.
Once completed, the expressway is expected to boost regional tourism and related industries in Bali, Wugu, Lujhou (蘆洲), Sinjhuang (新莊), Sanchung (三重), Banciao (板橋), Zhonghe (中和) and Xindian.
Meanwhile, Chen yesterday visited the free-trade zone at Taipei Harbor and expressed the hope that the area would help the local economy with its value-added products.
Taipei Harbor, located in Bali, is the country's fourth harbor designated as a free-trade zone after Keelung, Taichung and Kaohsiung.
The first phase of the harbor's free-trade zone became operational in September last year and the second phase is expected to be up and running by March 2008.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not