Police announced yesterday that they have arrested a Taiwanese woman accused of stealing jewelry worth around US$5 million from a Swiss jeweler in Geneva.
The jeweler, surnamed Antonio, accused Chen Yung-hsia (
Antonio arrived in Taipei yesterday to provide local police with his statement and evidence about the robbery, the National Police Agency (NPA) said yesterday in a statement to the media.
"Prosecutors applied to Taoyuan District Prosecutors' Office to detain Chen today [yesterday] on a charge of robbery," the NPA statement said.
On Friday, police confiscated eight pieces of jewelry from Chen, including two pieces that Antonio claims were his -- one with a 17 carat diamond and one with a 17.4 carat diamond.
The NPA claim Chen had already sold two pieces that Antonio said were his, one with a 14 carat diamond and one with a 10 carat diamond.
Chen told police that six of the jewelry pieces were hers. However, police are investigating whether a 119 carat emerald necklace in Chen's possession is in fact one that was reported stolen from a jeweler in the US.
Chen, who served a two-year prison term for fraud, denied the theft accusations, claiming that Antonio was her boyfriend and the jewelry had been given to her.
Antonio said he had only met Chen three times and he was not her boyfriend, police said.
Police said the 48-year-old Chen became acquainted with Antonio when she attended a jewelry fair in Geneva in 2001.
Last month, Antonio was authorized by two of his customers to sell four diamond pieces for them. Chen told Antonio she could look for buyers in Asia for him, and the pair met in a Geneva hotel so she could examine the jewelry.
Antonio told police that Chen disappeared with the pieces after he lost consciousness.
The NPA launched its probe after Swiss authorities made a request for help in their investigation through the International Criminal Police Organization.
Police learned that Chen had returned home on July 20 and they began to monitor her Taipei residence and her telephones. They learned a few days ago that Chen planned to fly to Macau last Friday to meet with potential buyers.
Police picked her up at CKS International Airport on Friday before she could board her flight.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not