Over 2,000 recyclers and legislators jointly staged a large-scale demonstration yesterday protesting against the manner in which the recycling industry is taxed.
Led by Taiwan Solidarity Union legislators Lo Chih-ming (
Some arrived on tour buses, but others came pulling the carts they use to carry recyclable items.
PHOTO: CNA
The demonstration began peacefully, but turned violent when 10 protesters, who had handcuffed themselves, were confronted by guards when they tried to enter the Legislative Yuan.
Recycling service operator Wu Chao-chih (吳招治) said that the tax policy requiring collectors to present receipts was unreasonable.
"We [the collectors] are asked to fill in receipts stipulating our sources' names, identification numbers and other personal information," Wu said.
Wu explained in an earlier interview that it was very difficult to comply with this requirement, as people simply left their recyclable items on the street for collectors to pick up.
Wu said yesterday that although the ministry currently only taxes large-scale recyclers, its policy would eventually affect the entire recycling industry.
Some recyclers demonstrated their anger last week at a meeting with a ministry official by heaping cans and plastic bags on his desk. The negotiation ended with no solution in sight, leading to yesterday's protest.
In response to the accusations, administrative deputy minister Chen Shuh (
According to Chen, the ministry is mainly targeting fraudulent medium and large recyclers who attempt to gather the names of the individuals and spread the income among them in order to pay less tax.
The ministry claims that Wu's company has provided personal information to recycling wholesalers in order to assist them in evading tax and has issued him in excess of 290 fines totaling more than NT$2.1 billion.
Wu protested his innocence.
"The ministry said we use the names to avoid paying taxes," Wu said. "We say we use these names to help the the [large recyclers] pay income tax."
Currently, the ministry requires recyclers to pay 3 percent income tax if they can present transaction records, and 5 percent if they cannot.
Chang Hsu-chang (張旭彰), a representative from the waste management department of the Environmental Protection Administration (EPA), said the administration has discussed the matter with the ministry on numerous occasions. He added that there is really nothing the administration can do about the issue.
The ministry has to consider the matter of consistency in applying tax policies and the EPA can only follow its interpretation of the laws, he said.
Chang said, however, that the administration hoped an agreement could be reached between the ministry and the recyclers.
"If the problem is not resolved, the recycling mechanism will crumble," Chang said.
According to a Formosa Television report, protesters threatened to stage an even bigger protest if the issue is not resolved within a week.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not