The Executive Yuan raised political eyebrows last week when it approved a government restructuring bill which would abolish the Mainland Affairs Council but won accolades for dropping the idea of merging three agencies dealing with ethnic affairs into a single agency.
The draft amendments to the Organic Law of the Executive Yuan (
The Executive Yuan was required by the Standard Organic Law of Central Government Agencies (
The Executive Yuan hopes to see the draft passed into law by the end of the year and implement it on Jan. 1 next year.
The Standard Organic Law of Central Government Agencies limits the number of Cabinet ministries to 13, the number of commissions to four and independent institutions to five -- a total of 22 agencies.
Speculation abounds that the Executive Yuan's plan to do away with the Mainland Affairs Council has a lot to do with the leadership style of former council chairwoman Tsai Ing-wen (
Tsai, known for her eloquence and fastidiousness, reportedly has little trust in the media. If she was to be quoted in media reports, Tsai is said to have required that Cabinet spokespersons read verbatim from notes she prepared for her contributions to weekly Cabinet meetings.
Responding to criticism over the plans to abolish the council, Cabinet Spokesman Chen Chi-mai (
"[Tsai] enjoyed a sound interaction and relationship with the premier. As she reported all council-related matters to the premier in accordance with administrative procedure, the premier fully respects her professional opinions," Chen said.
Realizing the importance of the council's functions, Chen said they thought it was a better idea to elevate its administrative status to the Cabinet level to be under the direct supervision of the premier.
"As cross-strait exchanges are becoming more frequent and important, the functions of the mainland policy-making body have to be strengthened and its status promoted," Chen said.
By making the council a Yuan-level entity, Chen said the Executive Yuan expects the new agency to become more efficient in formulating concrete cross-strait policies laid down by the president and in conducting ministerial negotiations.
Under the Cabinet's plan, the council's businesses would be integrated into a new Yuan-level mainland affairs office led by a minister without portfolio.
The government's ethnic agencies have also been targeted in the restructuring.
Speculation in the media suggested that the Cabinet had decided to absorb the Council of Aboriginal Affairs, the Council of Hakka Affairs and the Council of Mongolian and Tibetan Affairs into a larger entity.
Seemingly seeking to placate the grievances of ethnic minorities, the Cabinet eventually decided not to merge the three agencies.
Minority groups had pressured the Cabinet not to make the change, saying the plan was a step backward in the government's ethnic policy.
Yeh Jiunn-rong (
"It was not a political maneuver cooked up overnight as opposition parties charged but a well-thought-out, practical plan," he said. "It's the government's established policy to respect and strengthen cultural diversity.
"There's no such thing as an about-face in our ethnic policy and we didn't change our stance because of any backlash or opposition."
Regarding the government's structure, Yeh said that the nation's unique environment and social situation must be taken into account.
"While the Australian government has the Office of Indigenous Policy Coordination, Yemen has the Ministry of Oil and Mineral Resources and South Korean has the Ministry of National Unification, we thought it would only make sense if we continued to keep the Council of Hakka Affairs and Council of Indigenous People despite some people's opposition," Yeh said.
The Tibetan and Mongolian council, however, will be disbanded. The abolishion does not come as a surprise as the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP)-led government has long aspired to dispose of the agency, whose functions it deems obsolete.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not