A memorial service for former first lady Soong Mayling (宋美齡), also known as Madame Chiang Kai-shek, will be held at St. Bartholomew's Church in Manhattan on Nov. 5, her family said on Monday.
Taiwan's representative office in New York -- the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office -- was expected to issue a press release on details regarding the memorial service yesterday.
Soong's body is being kept at the Franklin E. Campell funeral home and her family is considering choosing a day during this week to open her coffin for public viewing. Meanwhile, her family plans to invite 1,000 people to the funeral.
Soong died at her New York home on Friday, at the age of 105.
Former premier Hau Pei-tsun (
"Her contributions to the ROC can hardly be epitomized by a grand funeral," Hau said.
Many of Soong's relatives, friends, former aides and proteges have flown to New York to pay their respects and assist in funeral arrangements.
Meanwhile, President Chen Shui-bian (
Chen has instructed that all national flags will be flown at half-mast on the day of Soong's funeral. Moreover, Chen will issue a posthumous commendation in honor of Soong for her contributions to Taiwan, particularly in the diplomatic field.
When Chen pays his respects, he will present a large national flag to the Soong family that can be draped upon the coffin at her funeral.
As Chen will leave New York for Panama Nov. 2 to attend the Central American country's Nov. 3 centennial celebrations, he will not attend the memorial service.
Soong led a reclusive life at her Manhattan home for much of her later life, after her husband died in 1975.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not