After two presidential advisers rejected the renewal of their appointments saying the positions don't allow them to make real contributions, the Presidential Office yesterday promised to make improvements in how advisers serve the nation.
Secretary-General to the President Chen Shih-meng (
For example, Chen said, advisers' suggestions could be compiled into a book for public reference.
Chang Jung-fa (
Every May, the president renews over 100 senior advisers to the president and national policy adviser posts.
According to Evergreen Group officials, Chang is too busy with his business and must often go overseas. Given these circumstances, Chang aides say he has been unable to attend Presidential Office meetings and has therefore been unable to contribute in any substantive way.
Anonymous sources, meanwhile, said that Chang rejected the offer because he wants to play down any political affiliations to facilitate the Evergreen Group's bid to enter the Chinese market.
Chang is also dissatisfied with the DPP government for its policy putting off direct cross-strait shipping and its failure to finalize negotiations on Taiwan-Hong Kong shipping links, sources said.
Liu had other concerns. She complained that the position of national policy adviser had given her little access for conveying the opinions of the underprivileged to the president.
Although advisors are invited to a routine monthly meeting at the Presidential Office, the event is not designed to let advisers express their opinions, Liu said.
According to Liu, the president usually makes a brief appearance at the meeting to deliver a speech and leaves when his speech is over.
In addition to Chang and Liu, Huang Wu-hsiung (黃武雄), a new nominee for national policy adviser, has also turned down the offer.
Huang, a professor of mathematics at National Taiwan University, who is an active member of Taiwan's educational reform movement, said that the Presidential Office had not consulted him before including him on the list.
Huang said he would be better off remaining in the private sector, because "public discourse" is still lacking in the government's effort to reform Taiwan's education system.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not