US midfielder Weston McKennie was subjected to racist abuse after Juventus completed a 2-0 season-opening win over Parma in Serie A, the Turin club said on Sunday.
Juventus posted a statement on social media saying McKennie was the target of “discriminatory racist remarks by individuals in the away section” while he was warming down with teammates on the pitch.
“Juventus strongly condemns this incident and any form of racism, and will ensure full cooperation with the sporting justice authorities to identify those responsible,” Juventus said in the statement.
Photo: La Presse via AP
McKennie, who joined Juventus in 2020, went on as a late substitute in the match in Turin where Canadian forward Jonathan David scored in his Italian Serie A debut for Juventus.
Parma also released a statement on Monday.
“Parma Calcio, in reference to the events that occurred last night after the match at the Allianz Stadium in Turin, firmly condemns all forms of racism and discrimination, both on and off the pitch,” they said. “Racial intolerance, or any other type of abusive behavior, is NEVER tolerated or acceptable and must therefore be addressed, fought, and condemned at all times.”
In 2023, ACF Fiorentina were hit with a suspended partial stadium ban after fans directed racist and discriminatory chants at McKennie and other Juventus players.
Sunday’s incident is the latest in a series of racism allegations in European soccer.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino last week described two incidents of alleged racist abuse which marred DFB-Pokal games as “unacceptable.”
Infantino’s comments were in the wake of allegations Schalke 04’s Christopher Antwi-Adjei was subjected to racist abuse in a cup game at Lokomotive Leipzig and a Kaiserslautern substitute was racially abused while warming up in a game at RSV Eintracht.
British police arrested a man on suspicion of racially abusing AFC Bournemouth forward Antoine Semenyo during an English Premier League game on Aug. 16.
The man was arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offense after Semenyo, who is black, reported to the referee that he was racially abused by a spectator in the first half of Bournemouth’s match against Liverpool at Anfield.
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Mathys Tel was hero and villain as Tottenham drew 1-1 at home to Leeds United on Monday — a result that leaves their English Premier League future hanging in the balance. The Frenchman broke the deadlock early in the second half to ease the tension at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, but then gave away a penalty with a reckless attempted clearance. In the dying minutes, Spurs were grateful to Antonin Kinsky, who produced an astonishing save to deny the visitors a win. Tottenham are now two points clear of 18th-placed West Ham United with just two games left this season. The
‘DONE IT ALL’: LeBron James is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season as a free agent with uncertainty swirling around his future LeBron James on Monday said he would take time to consider his future after the Los Angeles Lakers were swept out of the NBA playoffs by the Oklahoma City Thunder in what could turn out to be the final game of his career. James, 41, delivered a typically defiant performance with 24 points and 12 rebounds, but it was not enough to prevent the Lakers from falling 115-110 as the Thunder completed a 4-0 sweep in the Western Conference semi-finals series. The four-time NBA champion is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French