Veteran Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov scored a brace as AS Monaco warmed up for a decisive UEFA Champions League date with a 2-0 win away at Toulouse in Ligue 1 on Friday.
Berbatov’s neat finish put the principality club ahead on the stroke of halftime and the former Manchester United man then converted a penalty in the second half as Monaco climbed provisionally up to seventh in the table.
Leonardo Jardim’s side have spent most of the season playing catch-up with their rivals at the top of Ligue 1, but the win was a timely boost ahead of Tuesday’s home Champions League clash with Zenit Saint Petersburg, in which a draw would be enough to take them through to the round-of-16.
Photo: AFP
Monaco have significant selection problems in defense that will continue to cause concern when the Russian side come calling, with Ricardo Carvalho, Layvin Kurzawa and Elderson Echiejile sidelined, as well as midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia.
With young Brazilian Wallace suspended for the trip to southwest France, Aymen Abdennour was partnered in the heart of the defense against his former club by midfielder Jeremy Toulalan.
Nevertheless, the makeshift back four kept a clean sheet, while Berbatov made it three goals in his past two games after previously not finding the net since August.
After Bernardo Silva had an effort cleared off the line by Dragos Grigore, Berbatov opened the scoring right on halftime with a sweet finish across goalkeeper Ali Ahamada after neatly controlling Anthony Martial’s center.
Ahamada saved from Silva right at the start of the second period, but Monaco eventually doubled their lead with 13 minutes left, Berbatov coolly converting a penalty awarded for a foul on Fabinho.
Reigning champions Paris Saint-Germain, who go to Barcelona in the Champions League in midweek, currently trail leaders Olympique de Marseille by a point, but could provisionally go top of the table with the right result when they hosted Nantes yesterday.
Marseille are looking for an eighth consecutive home win when they face Metz today.
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Mathys Tel was hero and villain as Tottenham drew 1-1 at home to Leeds United on Monday — a result that leaves their English Premier League future hanging in the balance. The Frenchman broke the deadlock early in the second half to ease the tension at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, but then gave away a penalty with a reckless attempted clearance. In the dying minutes, Spurs were grateful to Antonin Kinsky, who produced an astonishing save to deny the visitors a win. Tottenham are now two points clear of 18th-placed West Ham United with just two games left this season. The
‘DONE IT ALL’: LeBron James is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season as a free agent with uncertainty swirling around his future LeBron James on Monday said he would take time to consider his future after the Los Angeles Lakers were swept out of the NBA playoffs by the Oklahoma City Thunder in what could turn out to be the final game of his career. James, 41, delivered a typically defiant performance with 24 points and 12 rebounds, but it was not enough to prevent the Lakers from falling 115-110 as the Thunder completed a 4-0 sweep in the Western Conference semi-finals series. The four-time NBA champion is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French