Tom Pernice, who has not won on the PGA Tour in seven years, shot a one-under 69 to seize a one-stroke lead over fellow American Steve Stricker at the US$6 million AT&T National.
The 48-year-old Pernice entered Saturday’s third round tied with Jeff Overton after shooting an explosive 63 on Friday. He moved to a 10-under 200 total at the Congressional Country Club course.
Pernice bogeyed the 518-yard, par-four sixth hole, but rebounded with a birdie on the eighth to sit at even-par before the turn.
PHOTO: AFP
Pernice’s last win on the PGA Tour was the International in 2001. He had just two top 10 finishes last year.
Despite his lack of production in recent years he knows what he has to do to seal the deal.
“I’ve got to go out there and perform better and shoot a good score to win a golf tournament,” he said. “I can’t worry about anything else. It’s just a matter of me being able to control my emotions and go out there and be able to execute and do what I need to do.”
PHOTO: AFP
The 48-year-old was even until a birdie on 17 to remain in the hunt for his third career title.
Stricker came out with plenty of spark, playing his first eight holes at three-under, before a bogey on nine. He added three more birdies on the back nine — at 10, 13 and 15 — before finishing with another bogey at 17 to card a four-under 66 on Saturday.
“You know, I think the course is playing a touch easier than last year and I think that’s reflective in the scores,” Stricker said. “You know, there’s a lot more guys with the opportunity to win I think. I don’t know how we stacked up last year at all.”
Americans Overton, Tommy Armour and Australian Nick O’Hern are tied for third at eight-under 202.
“I shot 66. I hit the ball well,” Armour said. “I made some putts. That’s what you’ve got to do on this course. It’s a good test of golf and I hit a lot of good shots. I played good and putted good.”
Overton shot a one-over on Saturday. He was one-under through the front nine, but struggled after the turn with bogeys at 10 and 14, before a double-bogey on the par-four 15th.
Overton did close strongly, with birdies on two of the final three holes.
It has been a trying year for Overton, who has missed the cut in six of his last seven events and 10 of 18 tournaments overall.
Americans Tim Herron, Anthony Kim and Cliff Kresge are in a three-way tie for sixth at seven-under.
■EUROPEAN OPEN
AFP, LONDON
Ross Fisher remained on course for victory at the European Open as he stayed at the head of the field after Saturday’s third round.
The Englishman, who shot a course record first round 63 at the London Club course in Kent, southeast England, birdied the 18th hole for the second day in a row.
And with Graeme McDowell, his nearest challenger, going into the water at the last, that left Fisher with a three-stroke lead heading into the final round.
“It’s a great finishing hole from a spectator’s point of view, but a bit of a pain from a player’s point of view,” Fisher said of the last. “When I hit my drive, I was just thinking ‘please carry the water, carry the water’ and you could probably see the huge relief. I think mine may have caused Graeme to take a more aggressive line.”
Fisher’s 69 left him on 16-under.
McDowell was level with his playing partner before bogeying the 16th, but the Northern Irish golfer, three shots ahead of third-placed David Frost, the veteran South African, said: “We had a lot of fun out there, but obviously I’m disappointed with my finish. Ross kind of pull-hooked his drive and I proceeded to do the same. I’m not quite as long as him and didn’t get away with it.”
McDowell, who lies 11th on the Ryder Cup table, said: “I realize the outcomes of potential finishes tomorrow, but this is not the last chance saloon for me this weekend. There will be enough pressure on me without overly thinking about that.”
Sergio Garcia was well-placed after two rounds, but his two-over 74 on Saturday left the Spaniard nine shots adrift of Fisher, in a group including India’s Jeev Milkha Singh.
Defending champion Colin Montgomerie, who won this title at the K Club in Ireland last year, was a shot further back.
■LPGA ARKANSAS
AFP, ROGERS, Arkansas
South Korea’s Meena Lee posted a seven-under 65 to take a one-shot clubhouse lead during a rain-interrupted second round of the LPGA Arkansas Championship on Saturday.
Play was called because of darkness with 70 players still on the course late on Saturday. Play was delayed twice by rain and the second round will resume followed immediately by the final round.
Lee, who recorded five of her eight birdies on the front nine, birdied all three par-three holes on the back nine to take the lead in the 54-hole event at the Pinnacle Country Club.
“Because of the rain, the course overall was a lot softer today,” Lee said.
The former Korean Ladies Professional Golf Association (KLPGA) player of the year, Lee overcame her lone blemish — a bogey on the 16th hole — to finish at 12-under 132. Brazil’s Angela Park and Kristy McPherson of the US were tied for second.
Park equaled the lowest round on the LPGA Tour this year by posting a career-low round of 10-under 62. The 19-year-old recorded 11 birdies, including seven on the back nine.
After tying for third at the US Open last weekend, Park finished her round with four birdies to remain right on the heels of Lee.
“Obviously, everything went right today. Just one hole hiccup there,” Park said, referring to her bogey on the 12th hole. “But I’ve been hitting the ball great coming into this week. I’ve been putting very well, which was always my struggle in my game.”
McPherson mixed five birdies with two bogeys to finish three-under for the day and 11-under for the tournament.
“I didn’t play bad golf this afternoon,” McPherson said.
South Korean Ji Eun-hee was seven-under for the day and 12-under through 16 holes on Saturday when play was postponed.
South Korea’s Lee Seon-hwa, who fired a season-low 64 on Friday, was 11-under through 16 holes.
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
West Ham United’s 3-1 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday left Tottenham Hotspur realistically only needing one more point to win the battle for English Premier League survival, while Bruno Fernandes made history in Manchester United’s 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest. Spurs can avoid dropping out of the English top flight for the first time in nearly 50 years with victory at Chelsea today, but a draw would also likely suffice thanks to their much superior goal-difference over West Ham. “Overall bad performance. Too many things [went wrong], I think we gifted them the goals,” West Ham head caoch Nuno Espirito Santo