George Best is "totally innocent" over allegations he indecently assaulted a young girl, the former Manchester United star's agent insisted yesterday.
The retired Northern Ireland winger, now 59, was arrested last week on suspicion of having assaulted a girl under the age of 13, police said on Monday.
Best, who last week was also questioned by police over a separate claim he punched a friend of his ex-lover, is alleged to have attacked the girl last month.
"We have received an allegation of indecent assault against a 59-year-old man who was arrested on June 9," a spokesman for Surrey Police said.
"The allegations concern a girl under the age of 13, and the incident is said to have taken place in May," the spokesman said.
"We're not prepared to discuss details of this investigation any further," he said.
Best's agent Phil Hughes described the claims as "outrageous" and "totally unfounded."
"George is totally innocent. We will defend this vigorously," he said.
"There have been so many lies printed about George that we have let slip through because you cannot sue everybody. [But] we will certainly be suing the people who made these allegations once we have proven his innocence," Hughes said.
Last week Best spent more than nine hours at a police station being questioned about an incident when he allegedly punched a 34-year-old woman outside the home of his ex-lover, Gina Devivo.
The former footballer received a facial injury the previous week during an encounter with current girlfriend Ros Hollidge, who was cautioned by police over the incident.
His picture on the front page of the Sun showed him sporting a black eye.
Best had stayed briefly with his ex-wife Alex at their former marital home, his agent added, but was now back with Hollidge.
Best was one of the most naturally gifted footballers ever to play the sport, but his career slumped when he was still in his 20s as his lifestyle took its toll.
By the time Best finally finished playing he was an alcoholic, and has reportedly resumed drinking even after being given a life-saving liver transplant in 2002.
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
West Ham United’s 3-1 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday left Tottenham Hotspur realistically only needing one more point to win the battle for English Premier League survival, while Bruno Fernandes made history in Manchester United’s 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest. Spurs can avoid dropping out of the English top flight for the first time in nearly 50 years with victory at Chelsea today, but a draw would also likely suffice thanks to their much superior goal-difference over West Ham. “Overall bad performance. Too many things [went wrong], I think we gifted them the goals,” West Ham head caoch Nuno Espirito Santo