Beijing is targeting young Taiwanese voters through Douyin(抖音), an official said yesterday, adding that videos shared on the platform by China aim to sow distrust in Taiwan’s government and military.
China-made videos targeting young Taiwanese have four aims: to incite a sense imminent war if the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) is re-elected, to vilify Taiwan’s conscription policy, to foster pro-China sentiment and to manipulate attitudes toward key policy issues, the Taiwanese official said.
China’s state-backed Global Times and other Chinese news outlets have recently published a series of reports denigrating the DPP in a bid to generate negative opinions toward the party in Taiwan.
Photo: AP
The reports include edited video from Taiwanese media to present skewed takes on certain issues.
“The Chinese Communist Party [CCP] has defined this election as a choice between ‘war and peace’ and continues to spread the threat of war through China’s state media,” the source said, adding that Beijing aims to push swing voters toward opposition candidates who would foster closer cross-strait ties.
“Pro-China candidates have even echoed these threats, claiming that a vote for the DPP is a vote to send young people to the battlefield. They are cooperating with the CCP to intimidate Taiwanese,” the source said.
The CCP is also attempting to convince young Taiwanese that conscription means they are sacrificing their studies, careers and futures, the source said.
“China basically intends to use cognitive warfare to foster negative views on the policies of the ruling party among young Taiwanese, all with an eye toward affecting the outcome of the election,” they said.
Government employees have been prohibited from using Chinese social media platforms, including Douyin and Tiktok(international version), since 2019.
The Executive Yuan in December last year said there is no legal basis for restricting public use of Douyin and TikTok, adding at the time that it would consult regulations in other countries and stakeholders in Taiwan to determine if there is a need to amend laws.
No concrete progress has been made on that issue, DPP Legislator Lai Jui-lung (賴瑞隆) said yesterday, urging the government to reference laws restricting TikTok in the US and Australia.
Legislating a blanket ban on Douyin and TikTok is difficult, as most users are young people who would oppose such a move, DPP Legislator Liu Shih-fang (劉世芳) said.
Cabinet spokesman Lin Tze-luen (林子倫) was unavailable for comment at press time.
Additional reporting by Hsieh Chun-lin
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
POWER PLANT POLL: The TPP said the number of ‘yes’ votes showed that the energy policy should be corrected, and the KMT said the result was a win for the people’s voice The government does not rule out advanced nuclear energy generation if it meets the government’s three prerequisites, President William Lai (賴清德) said last night after the number of votes in favor of restarting a nuclear power plant outnumbered the “no” votes in a referendum yesterday. The referendum failed to pass, despite getting more “yes” votes, as the Referendum Act (公民投票法) states that the vote would only pass if the votes in favor account for more than one-fourth of the total number of eligible voters and outnumber the opposing votes. Yesterday’s referendum question was: “Do you agree that the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.