Not requiring the nation’s female military reservists to attend training is not only a waste of resources, but runs contrary to gender equality, the Legislative Yuan’s Budget Center said in a report.
The government established the All-out Defense Mobilization Agency to improve the combat readiness of Taiwan’s reserve units, but has overlooked female reservists, said the report on the Ministry of National Defense’s financial statements for last year, which was released this month.
This year, the ministry began trialing a new model of educational mobilization under which military reservists must undergo two weeks of training and can be called up once a year.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
There are not enough army officers and non-commissioned officers in the reserve forces, so the military extended the period during which they can be called up from eight years to 12 years after being discharged from military service.
Female volunteers, as with their male counterparts, should according to the law be listed as reservists after being discharged from the army, the report said.
However, the current policy stipulates that female military officers and non-commissioned officers can choose not to be listed as reservists after being discharged, it said, adding that the practice contravenes the principle of equality.
Only a limited number of female officers had as of the end of last year volunteered to be listed: 487 army officers and 2,608 non-commissioned officers among 8,915 retired female military personnel, the report said.
Female military personnel receive professional training and gain practical experience during service, so should have more knowledge and skills than men who undergo mandatory military training, the report said, adding that not requiring them to attend educational mobilization makes the list “a mere formality.”
Chang Ling-ling (張玲玲), a colonel who was discharged last month and volunteered to be listed as a reservist, on Saturday said that she “had been nurtured by the armed forces during four years in military school and 30 years in the army,” so she was willing to contribute her experience and be listed.
Being mobilized in wartime without undergoing mobilization training “would be a great loss,” she said.
Regarding concerns about separating living spaces for female and male reservists, she said that it could be planned.
Military personnel are responsible, and women have been serving in the armed forces for years, she said.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Lin Ching-yi (林靜儀), a member of the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee, on Saturday said that the ministry should consider including retired female officers in the educational mobilization program to bolster the nation’s reserve forces.
The ministry said it would assess the feasibility of including female reservists in the program based on the level of threat from enemies, the need for defensive operations and military training capacity.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying