Thai protesters stormed a satellite TV station yesterday, overruning an army barricade and forcing their TV channel back on air in the first major confrontation of a three-day state of emergency.
Security forces fired water cannons and tear gas to disperse thousands of protesters, who climbed over rolls of barbed wire and forced open the gate of the compound, holding it for about three hours in defiance of an emergency decree on the 27th day of anti-government street protests seeking new elections.
Most of the soldiers pulled back from the Thaicom PCL satellite station about 60km north of Bangkok, leaving the grounds under the control of the “red shirt” protesters, supporters of former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a military coup in 2006.
Authorities entered the station a day earlier and seized equipment that took the People Channel station off air, saying it was inciting violence. Other channels were not affected.
“We want our TV back. You cannot shut our eyes and ears,” Jatuporn Prompan, a red shirt leader, said from the back of a truck after leading the protesters into the compound.
Broadcasts resumed after talks between police and protest leaders, prompting the crowd to disperse. However, it was not immediately clear how long the broadcasts would stay on. The government has said the channel incites violence.
“If they distort information again, we will have to take measures against it,” government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said.
The protesters, who briefly besieged parliament on Wednesday, seized guns, batons, shields, bullets and tear gas canisters from police and soldiers and displayed them at the station.
A Reuters photographer earlier saw a policeman hitting a protester with the butt of a rifle in the commotion.
Fourteen protesters, three police and a soldier were wounded, a medical center said. One protester was wounded, most likely from a rubber bullet. Others had minor scrapes.
PRECISION STRIKES: The most significant reason to deploy HIMARS to outlying islands is to establish a ‘dead zone’ that the PLA would not dare enter, a source said A High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) would be deployed to Penghu County and Dongyin Island (東引) in Lienchiang County (Matsu) to force the Chinese military to retreat at least 100km from the coastline, a military source said yesterday. Taiwan has been procuring HIMARS and Army Tactical Missile Systems (ATACMS) from the US in batches. Once all batches have been delivered, Taiwan would possess 111 HIMARS units and 504 ATACMS, which have a range of 300km. Considering that “offense is the best defense,” the military plans to forward-deploy the systems to outlying islands such as Penghu and Dongyin so that
WHAT WAS ALL THAT FOR? Jaw Shaw-kong said that Cheng Li-wen had pushed for more drastic cuts and attacked him, just for the outcome to be nearly identical to his bill The legislature yesterday passed a supplementary budget bill to fund the purchase of separate packages of US military equipment, with the combined amount of spending capped at NT$780 billion (US$24.8 billion). The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) used their legislative majority to pass the bill, which runs until 2033 and has two main funding provisions. One was for NT$300 billion of arms sales already approved by the US for Taiwan on Dec. 17 last year, the other was for NT$480 billion for another arms package expected to be announced by Washington. The bill, which fell short of the NT$1.25
A former television news host and six military personnel — active and retired — have been indicted on espionage charges, Kaohsiung prosecutors said yesterday. Lin Chen-you (林宸佑), a former CTi News host and YouTuber, last year allegedly made videos at the direction of a Chinese agent criticizing the Democratic Progressive Party’s recall campaign, the Ciaotou District Prosecutors’ Office told a news conference in Kaohsiung. He allegedly received 4,325 tether coins for the videos from an unidentified person surnamed Huang (黃), believed to be an agent of a hostile foreign power, they said. Lin, also known as Ma Te (馬德), has a show named
‘CRITICAL MOMENT’: Any delay in the passage of the remaining funds would weaken Taiwan’s security and play into the hands of the Chinese Communist Party, the AIT said While welcoming the Legislative Yuan’s approval of a supplementary defense budget, the US Department of State said that further delays to Taiwan military spending are a “concession” to China. The remarks came after the legislature on Friday passed the budget bill to fund the purchase of separate packages of military equipment from the US, with total spending capped at NT$780 billion (US$24.82 billion). One package allocates NT$300 billion for arms sales approved by the US for Taiwan on Dec. 17 last year, while the other sets aside NT$480 billion for an arms package expected to be announced by Washington. The