The Grand Hotel Taipei on Saturday confirmed that its information system had been illegally accessed and expressed its deepest apologies for the concern it has caused its customers, adding that the issue is being investigated by the Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau.
The hotel said that on Tuesday last week, it had discovered an external illegal intrusion into its information system.
An initial digital forensic investigation confirmed that parts of the system had been accessed, it said, adding that the possibility that some customer data were stolen and leaked could not be ruled out.
Photo: Chou Hsin-jui, Taipei Times
The actual scope and content of the affected data are still awaiting final forensic confirmation, the hotel said.
To protect customers’ rights, the hotel urged guests to remain highly vigilant and verify all information carefully if they receive suspicious e-mails, unusual payment instructions, requests for account passwords or financial information, or phone calls from unknown numbers.
Guests could also contact the hotel’s Public Relations Department at (02) 2886-1818, ext. 1515, 1022 or 1026, it said.
The hotel said it immediately activated its highest-level cybersecurity response mechanisms after the breach, including disconnecting affected systems, conducting a comprehensive forensic investigation and risk assessment, bolstering account and privilege controls, as well as enhancing monitoring and protection levels.
It added that it has also notified the authorities, in accordance with the law, and asked the Investigation Bureau to initiate an investigation.
The hotel said it is addressing the incident with the utmost seriousness and would pursue all legal liabilities to the fullest extent of the law without leniency.
The hotel’s operations remain normal, and accommodations and meal services continue to be provided, it added.
A New York-based NGO has launched a global initiative to rename the nation’s overseas missions, most of which operate under the name "Taipei," to "Taiwan Representative Office (TRO)," according to a news release. Ming Chiang (江明信), CEO of Hello Taiwan, announced the campaign at a news conference in Berlin on Monday, coinciding with the World Forum held from Monday through Wednesday, the institution stated in the release. Speaking at the event, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Jie (黃捷) said she believed this renaming campaign would enable the international community to see Taiwan
DEFENSE: The US should cancel the US visas or green cards of relatives of KMT and TPP lawmakers who have been blocking the budget, Grant Newsham said A retired US Marine Corps officer has suggested canceling the US green cards and visas of relatives of opposition Taiwanese lawmakers who have been stalling the review of a proposed NT$1.25 trillion (US$39.7 billion) special defense budget. The Executive Yuan has proposed the budget for major weapons purchases over eight years, from this year to 2033. However, opposition lawmakers have refused to review the proposal, demanding that President William Lai (賴清德) first appear before the Legislative Yuan to answer questions about the proposed budget. On Thursday last week, 37 bipartisan US lawmakers sent a letter to Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜), the heads
TOO DANGEROUS: The families agreed to suspend crewed recovery efforts that could put rescuers in danger from volcanic gases and unstable terrain The bodies of two Taiwanese tourists and a Japanese pilot have been located inside a volcanic crater, Japanese authorities said yesterday, nearly a month after a sightseeing helicopter crashed during a flight over southwestern Japan. Drone footage taken at the site showed three bodies near the wreckage of the aircraft inside a crater on Mount Aso in Kumamoto Prefecture, police and fire officials said. The helicopter went missing on Jan. 20 and was later found on a steep slope inside the Nakadake No. 1 Crater, about 50m below the rim. Authorities said that conditions at the site made survival highly unlikely, and ruled
HYGIENE: People should wash their hands before eating or preparing food, and clean contaminated surfaces with a diluted bleach solution, the CDC said More than 7,500 people sought medical attention for diarrhea during the first three days of the Lunar New Year holiday, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said yesterday, adding that nearly 90 percent of the cluster diarrhea outbreaks were caused by norovirus. Norovirus-triggered symptoms drew public attention when a temple manager in Tainan on Wednesday threw up during President William Lai’s (賴清德) visit, with part of the vomit landing on Lai’s left shoulder and arm. The temple manager later said he had contracted norovirus from family members. Hospitals reported 7,581 visits due to diarrhea on the first three days of the Lunar New