The US Department of Commerce is expected to propose a bar on Chinese software in autonomous and connected vehicles in the coming weeks, sources said.
US President Joe Biden’s administration plans to propose a rule that would bar Chinese software in vehicles in the US with Level 3 automation and above, which would also result in a ban on the testing of Chinese-produced autonomous vehicles on US roads.
The administration would also propose barring vehicles with Chinese-developed advanced wireless communications abilities modules from US roads, the sources added.
Photographer: Qilai Shen, Bloomberg
Under the proposal, automakers and suppliers would need to verify that none of their connected vehicle or advanced autonomous vehicle software was developed in a “foreign entity of concern” such as China, the sources said.
Asked for a comment, a department spokesperson on Sunday said that the department “is concerned about the national security risks associated with connected technologies in connected vehicles.”
The department’s Bureau of Industry and Security would propose a rule that “will focus on specific systems of concern within the vehicle. The industry will also have a chance to review that proposed rule and submit comments,” the spokesperson said.
Meanwhile, a representative for the Chinese embassy in Washington said electric vehicles are a globalized industry.
“Only division of labor and cooperation can bring mutual benefits, and only fair competition can bring technological progress,” the representative said. “China urges the US to abide by market principles and international trade rules, and create a level playing field for companies from all countries. China will firmly defend its lawful rights and interests.”
The White House and the US Department of State on Wednesday hosted a meeting with allies and industry leaders to “jointly address the national security risks associated with connected vehicles,” the department said.
The meeting included officials from the US, Australia, Canada, the EU, Germany, India, Japan, South Korea, Spain and the UK who “exchanged views on the data and cybersecurity risks associated with connected vehicles and certain components.”
Also known as conditional driving automation, Level 3 includes technologies that allow drivers to engage in activities behind the wheel, such as watching movies or using smartphones, but only under limited conditions.
A group of US lawmakers in November last year raised concerns about Chinese companies collecting and handling sensitive data while testing autonomous vehicles in the US and asked questioned major Chinese companies.
In letters, the group said that in the 12 months ended November 2022, Chinese autonomous vehicle companies test drove more than 724,205km in California. US Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg in July last year said his department had national security concerns about Chinese autonomous vehicle companies in the US.
The US administration is worried that connected vehicles using driver monitoring systems would listen in on or record conversations of occupants, or take control of the vehicle itself.
“The national security risks are quite significant,” US Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo said in May. “We decided to take action, because this is really serious stuff.”
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort