Warner Bros on Tuesday started testing a service that offers select movies for purchase or rental through the public pages of these movies on the world’s largest online social network.
Starting on Tuesday, Facebook users who visit the official page of Batman: The Dark Knight can click a “watch” icon and pay 30 Facebook credits, or US$3, to watch the movie. The movie is streamed through a Facebook application.
Renters have access to a movie for 48 hours and can replay it as many times as they like. Warner Bros said it would add other movies in coming months, but did not say what those would be.
The page had nearly 4 million “likes” as of Tuesday afternoon.
Another page, called simply Dark Knight, had about 2 million — but this is not the official Warner Bros page and the movie isn’t available through it.
Warner Bros didn’t say how much it would cost to buy movies.
“Making our films available through Facebook is a natural extension of our digital distribution efforts,” said Thomas Gewecke, president of Warner Bros Digital Distribution, in a statement.
The offering is only open to people in the US.
“While officially dubbed a test, we expect to see more studios get behind the effort given the large platform and higher price point,” wrote Jefferies analyst Youssef Squali in a note to investors.
He added that he sees the Facebook-Warner Bros deal as “yet another caution sign” against movie rental company Netflix Inc’s high stock value.
Netflix lost US$11.95, or 5.8 percent, to close at US$195.45. Time Warner Inc, which owns Warner Bros, fell US$0.35 to close at US$36.43.
“With Facebook’s entry, the competitive playing field is getting crowded,” Squali said. “We expect this competition to curtail Netflix’s subscriber growth and drive higher content costs, impacting revenue growth and margins over time.”
Netflix had no comment.
Separately, some of Sony Corp’s movies sold through Apple Inc’s iTunes store are now available with extra features that enable people to search scenes for actors and bits of dialogue by typing terms into a computer.
Other features allow viewers to choose clips to share on Facebook and Twitter and check where songs from a soundtrack appear. A link to the iTunes store makes music purchases easy.
All three features are available now on Burlesque and The Others Guys. The non-music features are available on Salt and Resident Evil: Afterlife and will be available on The Tourist, when it is released on March 22.
Studio senior vice president Rich Berger said in a statement that adding the features boosts the value of Sony’s digital movies and makes them more collectable.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort