CIT Group Inc’s board approved a deal late on Sunday with major bondholders to keep the company out of bankruptcy with a US$3 billion rescue loan, the New York Times reported.
The emergency financing is intended to give the firm time to restructure some of the billions of dollars in debt payments coming due this year, the Times reported, citing anonymous sources.
CIT representatives could not be reached for comment.
CIT had been negotiating with key bondholders — including bond manager Pimco — in an attempt to avoid a bankruptcy filing. Jeffrey Peek, the company’s chairman and chief executive, was actively involved in the talks, according to a person briefed on the matter. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks are confidential.
CIT has been scrambling to raise US$2 billion to US$4 billion after the federal government refused to bail out the company. Rescue talks with government regulators broke off late on Wednesday after days of round-the-clock negotiations.
Under the deal, CIT’s main bondholders would give the company US$3 billion at an initial rate of 10.5 percent, the Times reported.
A bankruptcy filing would have threatened funding for scores of small businesses across the country. It also would have wiped out US$2.3 billion in federal bailout money injected into the company.
The lender faces US$7.4 billion in debt due in the first quarter of next year. Highlighting its woes, CIT will be removed from the Standard & Poor’s 500 index on Friday and replaced with software distributor Red Hat Inc.
CIT had warned that depriving it of more federal aid could imperil about a million corporate borrowers — from Dunkin’ Donuts franchisees to retailer Dillards Inc. But the administration of US President Barack Obama turned down the company’s request, showing that it was drawing a line on federal rescues for troubled financial firms.
See Regional on page 11
SOLIDARITY: A group of European lawmakers condemned China’s aggressive moves, while the foreign minister of Lithuania said Taiwan ‘cannot become a second Ukraine’ A German parliamentary delegation would visit Taiwan in the first week of October, German lawmaker Holger Becker on Monday told visiting Democratic Progressive Party legislators Fan Yun (范雲) and Lin I-chin (林宜瑾) at the Bundestag in Berlin. Asked by Fan whether he is worried about possible reprisals from Beijing, such as banning him and his family from entering China, Becker said he is more interested in visiting Taiwan, as “now is the time for democracies to stand together.” Fan and Lin also met with German officials to exchange views on digital education and governance. Investing in digital infrastructure and protecting equal rights to
As China waged extensive military exercises off Taiwan, a group of US defense experts in Washington was focused on their own simulation of an eventual — but for now entirely hypothetical — US-China war over the nation. The unofficial what-if game is being conducted on the fifth floor of an office building not far from the White House, and it posits a US military response to a Chinese invasion in 2026. Even though the participants bring a US perspective, they are finding that a US-Taiwan victory, if there is one, could come at a huge cost. “The results are showing that under
‘SIMULATED ATTACKS’: Ten warships each from China and Taiwan were maneuvering at close quarters in the Taiwan Strait, with some Chinese vessels crossing the median line Taiwan yesterday reiterated that it would not succumb to pressure from Beijing after China carried out its most provocative military drills in decades in retaliation for US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s trip to Taiwan last week. “We will never bow to pressure. We uphold freedom and democracy, and believe Taiwanese disapprove [of] China’s bullying actions with force and saber rattling at our door,” Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said yesterday. China had “arrogantly” disrupted regional peace and stability, he said, calling on Beijing to not flex its military muscles. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) has also called on the international community to “support
DRILLS CONTINUE: China’s creation of a restricted zone across the median line of the Taiwan Strait challenges a 70-year-old fact, a ministry of defense official said The nation’s military fully complies with international rules and guidelines when responding to Chinese military drills, the Ministry of National Defense said yesterday, vowing to continue defending Taiwan in accordance with international law. China on Thursday launched four days of military drills around Taiwan proper in response to US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taipei. The drills were expected to end on Sunday, but neither Beijing nor Taipei confirmed their conclusion, although the Ministry of Transportation and Communications said it had seen some evidence suggesting at least a partial drawdown. However, China yesterday said the drills would continue, saying “the