Hedge-fund assets will likely drop by about US$192 billion this quarter after the industry posted record losses last year, estimates by UBS AG showed.
Global assets will likely fall to US$1.215 trillion in the first quarter, said Timothy Bell, head of hedge-funds advisory at UBS’ wealth management unit in London.
Hedge-fund investors withdrew a record US$152 billion in the fourth quarter, pushing industry assets to US$1.407 trillion at the end of last year, Hedge Fund Research Inc said.
“That trend is going to keep going certainly till the end of this first quarter,” Bell told reporters in Singapore yesterday. “Trust will be reestablished by mid-year, provided the hedge fund industry does what it’s meant to do; January was a shining example of the lack of correlation.”
Hedge funds had an average return of 0.4 percent last year, compared with an 8.6 percent plunge in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index.
Investments by hedge funds lost about 19 percent last year, according to Chicago-based Hedge Fund Research, the most since it began tracking data in 1990. Assets peaked at US$1.93 trillion in June.
“The compound growth rate in 2005 to 2007 was 35 percent per annum,” Bell said. “If you extrapolate that over 10 years it can get to US$26 trillion; it can’t keep growing at the rate.”
Still, the industry will likely emerge stronger this year with less competition after hedge-fund assets and banks’ proprietary trading desks shrank, Bell said.
“You’ve got less capital and better trading opportunities,” Bell said. “You’re seeing systemic risks being reduced” after governments injected liquidity into the system to counter stalling global growth, he said.
Hedge-fund strategies such as equity and macro, which typically invests in highly liquid markets such as currencies and bonds, will gain in popularity, Bell said.
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very