Ford Motor Co lost a staggering US$12.7 billion last year -- an average of US$1,925 for every car and truck it sold and the worst loss in the company's 103-year-history.
The company that invented the assembly line and whose name was a byword for the auto industry warned it will bleed cash for two more years before it has a shot at making money.
Ford's loss, reported on Thursday, came amid slumping demand for sport utility vehicles and other gas guzzlers and huge restructuring costs tied in part to the planned closure of 16 plants.
Last year's loss surpassed Ford's old record of US$7.39 billion set in 1992.
A fourth-quarter loss of US$5.8 billion helped drive up the red ink, which for the year amounted to US$6.79 per share versus a profit of US$1.44 billion, or US$0.77 a share, in 2005.
Although huge, the losses were far from the largest quarterly or annual corporate deficits on record -- Time Warner Inc reported a US$97.2 billion loss in 2002, largely due to new accounting rules about how to value assets. Ford could not rely on accounting rules, however, to explain its total.
Ford's loss also was not the worst annual total in the auto industry. General Motors Corp lost US$23.4 billion in 1992, due mainly to accounting rule changes on health care liabilities.
The Dearborn-based company predicted more losses for this year and next, but Ford said its restructuring plan is on track to return to profitability in 2009.
"We know where we are. We are dealing with it and we're on plan," chief executive officer Alan Mulally told reporters and industry analysts in a conference call.
Several analysts said the loss was not surprising, given Ford's high costs and falling market share and sales. Ford's future is cloudy at best, given the deficit that it must overcome, analysts said.
"They have a massive challenge in front of them. Their basic business is billions of dollars in the red," Burnham Securities analyst David Healy said.
Ford, which lost US$6 billion on North American operations alone, said it expected to burn up US$10 billion in cash to run its business through 2009 and spend another US$7 billion to invest in new products.
The fourth-quarter loss was the worst final-quarter loss in Ford's history and its second-worst quarterly performance. Ford lost US$6.7 billion in the first quarter of 1992.
Excluding special items, Ford lost US$1.50 per share in all of last year, worse than Wall Street predicted. Fourteen analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial expected a loss of US$1.35 per share, excluding special items.
Chief financial officer Don Leclair said that Ford expected favorable results from its automotive business next year.
But because of interest on its debt, "total automotive results are expected to be worse in 2007 than in 2006," he said.
Leclair said the company finished last year with US$33.9 billion in cash available for its automotive operations.
The company is on target to achieve its goal of cutting US$5 billion in annual costs by next year, compared with 2005, he said.
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very