World oil prices rose on Thursday after Russia's largest oil producer, Yukos, said a court ruling "paralyzes" the company's operations.
Futures prices of crude oil jumped more than US$1 on the New York Mercantile Exchange after the Yukos announcement and reports of an attack on Iraq's northern oil export pipeline renewed fears of disruptions at a time when world oil supply is tight.
On Wednesday, crude oil prices surged by nearly US$2 a barrel after the US Energy Department reported that oil inventories shank more than expected last week. The report raised the specter of possible energy shortages in the run-up to the peak winter season.
But the rally ended late Thursday, and oil for October delivery settled at US$44.06 a barrel in New York trading, up just US$0.06 for the day. Oil prices have risen more than 30 percent so far this year.
The announcement by Yukos on Thursday is the latest move in a dispute between the Kremlin and the company over claims of billions of dollars in back taxes.
Yukos, which produces 2 percent of the world's oil supply, said it might be forced to halt production after a Moscow court on Tuesday issued an order authorizing prosecutors to seize the bank accounts of the company's main production unit and refinery.
Yukos said that if a freeze on the unit's accounts remained in place, the company would be unable to pay wages and settle accounts with equipment suppliers and trading partners.
"The freeze now means that the bank accounts of all our subsidiaries have been blocked," Yukos wrote in an e-mailed statement. Yukos no longer has the ability "to conduct any transactions, including payment of salaries and taxes and for current operations," it said.
"The seizure of accounts paralyzes Yukos' production activities as it does not allow the company to pay not only its suppliers and subcontractors, but also wages to the personnel," the Yukos statement said.
The Russian Tax Ministry described Yukos' claims as "an attempt to mislead the public."
"Yukos' statement is pure stupidity," the ministry said in a statement late Thursday. "It is an attempt to mislead the public. The seizure of accounts has nothing to do with wages paid to Yukos' workers. Nor is it hampering settlements with suppliers or contractors."
Yukos also warned on Thursday that without access to its bank accounts, employees and customers across Russia could suffer.
"Fuel delivery in more than 40 regions of the Russian Federation will be threatened" and a halt on wages could trigger social unrest among people who relied on the company for their livelihoods, Yukos said.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday inaugurated the Danjiang Bridge across the Tamsui River in New Taipei City, saying that the structure would be an architectural icon and traffic artery for Taiwan. Feted as a major engineering achievement, the Danjiang Bridge is 920m long, 211m tall at the top of its pylon, and is the longest single-pylon asymmetric cable-stayed bridge in the world, the government’s Web site for the structure said. It was designed by late Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid. The structure, with a maximum deck of 70m, accommodates road and light rail traffic, and affords a 200m navigation channel for boats,
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House