Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte would lift martial law in the southern Philippines by year’s end, his spokesman said yesterday, more than two years after it was imposed in an attempt to stop the Islamic State (IS) group gaining a foothold there.
Duterte put the Mindanao region under military rule in May 2017, hours after gunmen flying the black IS flag seized the mainly Muslim city of Marawi, sparking a five-month battle that left 1,200 people dead.
“The [presidential] palace is confident on the capability of our security forces in maintaining the peace and security of Mindanao without extending martial law” beyond Dec. 31, presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said in a statement.
Duterte’s security advisers had apprised him of the “weakening of the terrorist and extremist rebellion, a result of the capture or neutralization of their leaders, as well as the decrease in the crime index,” Panelo added.
Martial law had allowed the military to establish control with measures like curfews, checkpoints and gun controls in a nation where many civilians own firearms, either legally or illegally.
Suspects could also be detained for longer periods without criminal charges being filed in court.
However, martial law is a contentious issue in a country ruled for 20 years by former Philippine president Ferdinand Marcos, who Duterte has hailed as the greatest leader the Asian nation ever had.
The Philippine Congress allowed Duterte to extend martial rule over the entire south after government forces recaptured Marawi, ignoring opposition warnings of a creep toward authoritarian rule.
British-based watchdog group International Alert said in a report earlier this year that martial rule has reduced conflict incidents in Mindanao by 30 percent in 2017 and last year.
The group’s Asia peace and conflict policy adviser Francisco Lara told reporters that the military checkpoints curtailed the transport of firearms, which led to fewer kidnappings and clan wars.
However, Mindanao has been hit by a number of deadly suicide bombings in a worrying escalation of militancy driven by the IS influence in Southeast Asia.
These attacks included a January blast during Sunday Mass at a Catholic cathedral on the island of Jolo.
“The deterrence argument seems questionable in light of unprecedented suicide attacks,” political analyst Richard Heydarian told reporters.
“Even after several years of implementation it did not bring any substantial defeat of any armed group in that area,” said Jose Antonio Custodio, a military historian and defense analyst.
The tourism fallout was also substantial, Custodio added, citing frequent travel advisories for Mindanao issued by Western governments.
Philippine Secretary of Defense Delfin Lorenzana earlier told reporters that he had advised Duterte against prolonging martial rule over the region.
“It’s time to go back to normal, and so that we can attract more investors,” Lorenzana told state TV last week.
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
A Malaysian student whose cellphone was stolen while he was sleeping has tracked down the culprit: a monkey who took photo and video selfies with the device before abandoning it. Zackrydz Rodzi, 20, on Wednesday said that his mobile phone was missing from his bedroom when he woke up on Saturday. He found the phone’s casing under his bed, but there was no sign of robbery in his house in Johor state. JUNGLE When his father saw a monkey the next day, he searched in the jungle behind his house. Using his brother’s cellphone to call his own device, he found it covered
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after