Tens of thousands protested in Bilbao, northern Spain, on Saturday calling for the return of more than 400 prisoners linked to the Basque separatist group ETA (Basque Fatherland and Liberty in Basque), who are being held outside the region.
Families of the convicts, who are dispersed across 73 prisons in France and Spain, led the march in the Basque region’s most populous city.
A banner called for “Basque prisoners in the Basque country,” while the crowd chanted for those being held to be brought home.
Photo: Reuters
Joseba Azkarraga, spokesman for a group defending the rights of ETA-linked prisoners, called on politicians “to end ... the suffering of thousands of families who are affected by the dispersion.”
Prisoners in ill health should be released, he added.
Organizers claimed that 70,000 people attended the rally, while a photographer said several tens of thousands were at the event.
A simultaneous rally was held in Bayonne, the largest city in the French Basque country, which organizers said drew 10,000 people, but police said was attended by 7,500.
The ETA has claimed responsibility for the death of 829 people over 40 years, but renounced violence in its struggle for independence four years ago.
The organization has refused to disband, largely so it can continue to represent members and allies still being held in prison.
Separately, Catalonia voted for a new regional president yesterday, with the result expected to help a push for independence from Spain.
The fate of Catalonia has hung in the balance since regional polls in September, in which secessionist groups came out top, although no one party managed to gain an absolute majority.
The deadlock was broken on Saturday when regional president Artur Mas, from the “Together for Yes” alliance, agreed to step aside to avoid triggering fresh elections.
The Popular Unity Candidacy party had refused for more than three months to back the leader because of his support for austerity measures and his party’s links to corruption scandals.
Mas named Carles Puigdemont as his successor, paving the way for a separatist coalition government that aims to declare independence from Spain within 18 months.
On Sunday evening, separatist members of the regional parliament were to confirm the selection of Puigdemont, a Catalan-language journalist from Mas’ party.
The 53-year-old mayor of Girone, which lies about 100km north of Barcelona, was then to appoint a Cabinet. If a deal had not been reached by midnight, Mas would have had to call fresh elections in Catalonia.
“Our project is solid and working in the right direction,” Puigdemont tweeted after the last-minute agreement, as the separatists gather their forces to take the fight back to Madrid.
The Spanish government is currently in limbo after legislative elections last month in which Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy’s Popular Party (PP) came top, but lost its absolute majority. So far both the PP’s traditional Socialist rival, which came second in the elections, and upstart anti-austerity party Podemos have refused to support him.
Faced with the prospect of secession by Spain’s richest region, Rajoy on Saturday insisted that the nation’s next government should have “an ample parliamentary base with the stability and capacity to face the separatist challenge.”
With its own language and customs, Catalonia already enjoys a large degree of freedom in education, health and policing.
However, it wants more independence from the Spanish state, particularly where taxation is concerned, complaining that it pays more to Madrid than it gets back.
Polls show that most people in Catalonia — Spain’s richest region, with a population of 7.5 million — support a referendum on independence, but are divided over breaking from Spain.
A 2010 decision by the Spainish Constitutional Court to water down a statute giving Catalonia more powers has added fuel to the fire and caused support for independence to rise.
In November, the separatists passed a motion in the Catalan parliament calling on the assembly to start drafting laws to create a distinct social security system and treasury, with a view to completing independence in a year and a half.
Rajoy immediately filed suit against the move in the Constitutional Court, which annulled the independence motion last month.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The