An estimated 30,000 people flocked to Mont Saint-Michel on Saturday to see the “tide of the century” surround the picturesque French landmark, as two people drowned on the country’s west coast.
A record-breaking crowd gathered at the rocky island topped with a Gothic Benedictine abbey to watch the sea surge up the bay on the coast of Normandy, which is exposed to some of Europe’s strongest tides.
However, the festive atmosphere as night fell and a wall of water as high as a four-story building swept up the estuary was tempered by news of the drownings.
Photo: Reuters
While the deaths of a 70-year-old fisherman swept away in the Gironde region of southwestern France, and of another man who was collecting shellfish off the Ile Grande further north, were not directly linked to the so-called “supertide,” 15 people had to be rescued in the Brittany region alone after becoming trapped by afternoon tides.
Driven by the effects of the solar eclipse on Friday, the spring tide on Saturday night at Mont Saint-Michel peaked at a record high of more than 14m, or a coefficient of 119 out of a possible maximum of 120. Spectators packed a nearly 1km-long footbridge that links the UNESCO World Heritage Site with the mainland, while others watched from the crowded ramparts of the granite islet, which is visited by 3 million people a year.
Officials at the French Navy Oceanic and Hydrological Service had said that the high tide would pose a danger to people venturing out too far.
However, even before dawn, tourists from France and the world over — Japanese, Germans and Belgians in particular — were taking their places to watch the spectacle.
About 10,000 people had already turned up at Mont Saint-Michel on Friday evening — where, as the saying goes, the sea rises “at the speed of a galloping horse” — only for the tide not to reach predicted levels.
Although dubbed the “tide of the century,” the “supertide” phenomenon occurs once every 18 years.
In the nearby Breton coastal town of Saint Malo, to the west of Mont Saint-Michel, about 20,000 people gathered to watch massive waves crash onto the shore.
Among them, Italian couple Francesca and Gianni had traveled 1,400km to witness the special event.
The spectacular phenomenon is also happening in other parts of the globe, with Canada’s Bay of Fundy on the Atlantic coast expected to see a tidal surge of 16m.
The next “tide of the century” is expected on March 3, 2033.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying