Suspected “hit teams” from Mexico’s powerful Juarez Cartel killed two Americans and a Mexican man linked to the US consulate in Ciudad Juarez in coordinated weekend shootings that marked an ominous turn in the drug war ravaging northern Mexico.
US officials said the two separate attacks on Saturday killed a US employee of the US consulate in the border city of Ciudad Juarez, her US husband and a co-worker’s Mexican husband.
The government of the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua identified the victims as US consular worker Lesley Enriquez, her US husband Redelfs Arthur Haycock and Mexican national Jorge Alberto Salcido Ceniceros.
Salcido Ceniceros was married to another employee of the US consulate, Mexican authorities said.
There was no confirmation of the identities from the US side. In a press release, the Chihuahua government said that based on the information exchanged between Mexican and US federal agencies, it was established that the investigation would focus on hitmen “belonging to a gang known as ‘The Aztecas,’” which works for the Juarez Cartel.
No motive for the killings was suggested, but several prominent drug kingpins have been recently extradited by Mexico to the US to stand trial. Jesus Vicente Zambada-Niebla, son of Sinaloa Cartel chief Ismael “el Mayo” Zambada-Garcia, appeared last month in a Chicago court on drug trafficking charges.
Meanwhile, Miguel Caro Quintero, a brother of another notorious Mexican drug baron, Rafael Caro Quintero, was sentenced earlier by a federal judge in Colorado to 17 years in jail.
When a hiker fell from a 55m waterfall in wild New Zealand bush, rescuers were forced to evacuate the badly hurt woman without her dog, which could not be found. After strangers raised thousands of dollars for a search, border collie Molly was flown to safety by a helicopter pilot who was determined to reunite the pet and the owner. A week earlier, an emergency rescue helicopter found the woman with bruises and lacerations after a fall at a rocky spot at the waterfall on the South Island’s West Coast. She was airlifted on March 24, but they were forced to
CONFIDENCE BOOSTER: ’After parkour ... you dare to do a lot of things that you think only young people can do,’ a 67-year-old parkour enthusiast said In a corner of suburban Singapore, Betty Boon vaults a guardrail, crawls underneath a slide, executes forward shoulder rolls and scales a steep slope, finishing the course to applause. “Good job,” the 69-year-old’s coach cheers. This is “geriatric parkour,” where about 20 retirees learned to tackle a series of relatively demanding exercises, building their agility and enjoying a sense of camaraderie. Boon, an upbeat grandmother, said learning parkour has aided her confidence and independence as she ages. “When you’re weak, you will be dependent on someone,” she said after sweating it out with her parkour classmates in suburban Toa Payoh,
Chinese dissident artist Gao Zhen (高兟), famous for making provocative satirical sculptures of former Chinese leader Mao Zedong (毛澤東), was tried on Monday over accusations of “defaming national heroes and martyrs,” his wife and a rights group said. Gao, 69, who was detained in 2024 during a visit from the US, faces a maximum three-year prison sentence, said his wife, Zhao Yaliang (趙雅良), and Shane Yi, a researcher at the Chinese Human Rights Defenders group which operates outside the nation. The closed-door, one-day trial took place at Sanhe City People’s Court in Hebei Province neighboring the capital, Beijing, and ended without a
‘TOXIC CLIMATE’: ‘I don’t really recognize Labour anymore... The idea that you can implement far-right ideas in order to stop the far right is nonsense,’ a protester said Tens of thousands of people on Saturday marched through central London to protest against the far right, weeks ahead of local elections and six months after Britain saw one of its largest far-right demonstrations. Organized by hundreds of civic groups, including trade unions, anti-racism campaigners and Muslim representative bodies, Saturday’s Together Alliance event was billed as the biggest in UK history to counter right-wing extremism. A separate pro-Palestinian march had also converged with the main rally. While organizers claimed 500,000 had turned out in total, the police gave a figure of about 50,000. Protesters carrying placards with slogans such as