The US is studying whether it can legally challenge Chinese Internet restrictions that hurt Google and other US companies operating in China, but direct talks with Beijing might yield faster results, the top US trade official said on Tuesday.
“We are still dialoguing not just with Google, but with other Internet providers, to make sure we fully understand what is happening in China,” US Trade Representative Ron Kirk said in remarks at the National Press Club.
At the same time, US trade officials are “trying to make our own determination whether we believe in fact this is not WTO compliant and if the best resolution is to go forward and file an appeal,” Kirk said.
A case challenging censorship practices that affect Google and other Internet providers who operate in China would be the first of its kind at the WTO.
A US free-speech group known as the First Amendment Coalition had been urging such a case for years before Google threatened to leave China because of hacking incidents and Web restrictions.
Kirk said trying to resolve the issue through bilateral forums such as the US-China Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade (JCCT) was “much more preferable than the uncertain path of what can be a two, three, four-year legal battle in the WTO.”
US firms cannot wait that long for a solution in the current economic environment, although the US would not hesitate to go to the WTO when that is the only solution it has left, Kirk said.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of