As multiscreen cinemas march down the Italian peninsula, sweeping away historic city center cinemas, a small independent screen in Puglia has stumbled on a secret weapon to fight back.
The Odeon in Molfetta, a seaside town in Italy’s heel, projected its first wedding video on Tuesday night, a sell-out as friends and family of a local newlywed couple arrived to cheer themselves as they appeared on the silver screen.
With 50 wedding parties booked for celluloid reruns of their nuptials, the Odeon’s future is looking safer, despite the opening of a multiplex in an industrial zone outside town, complete with ample parking facilities, which appeared to have sealed its fate.
“I went to the Odeon as a kid and it’s great to be doing something now to keep alive a cinema that you can still walk to with your own children,” said Roberto Pansini, 30, who came up with the scheme while working at a local advertising agency.
Puglians take weddings seriously, inviting hundreds to celebrate, but Pansini said couples found it difficult to get all the guests back to squeeze around a television to watch the obligatory video.
“Now they hand over about 300 euros [US$440] to rent the cinema, with cocktails thrown in if they ask,” he added. “It is so popular we are even taking bookings for wedding anniversary parties. People are thrilled to see themselves on a cinema screen.”
The 360-seat Odeon is the only one of four cinemas once open in the center of Molfetta that still survives, hobbling along on a council grant and pulling in punters with music concerts and theater performances, alongside the regular fare of films and matinee cartoons.
“The competition from the multiplex has hit really hard, but if this idea works out, I plan to market it around the other small Italian cinemas in peril,” Pansini said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told