Australia has announced an agreement with the tiny Pacific nation Nauru enabling it to send hundreds of immigrants to the barren island.
The deal affects more than 220 immigrants in Australia, including some convicted of serious crimes.
Australian Minister of Home Affairs Tony Burke signed the memorandum of understanding on a visit to Nauru, the government said in a statement on Friday.
Photo: AFP
“It contains undertakings for the proper treatment and long-term residence of people who have no legal right to stay in Australia, to be received in Nauru,” it said. “Australia will provide funding to underpin this arrangement and support Nauru’s long-term economic resilience.”
Canberra did not provide financial details.
The Sydney Morning Herald said, however, that Australia would pay Nauru A$408 million (US$267 million) and about A$70 million a year thereafter under the deal.
“Anyone who doesn’t have a valid visa should leave the country,” Burke said in a statement. “This is a fundamental element of a functioning visa system.”
Australia’s government has been searching for a way to deal with immigrants who have no other country to go to when their visas are canceled.
The Australian High Court ruled in 2023 that indefinite detention was “unlawful” if deportation was not an option, leading to the release of 220 people.
The number of immigrants in that situation now numbers more than 350, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
In February, Australia paid an undisclosed sum for Nauru to accept three immigrants convicted of violent offences, although legal challenges have reportedly stalled their transfer.
Last year, Australia and Nauru signed an agreement spanning maritime security, defense and policing.
Nauru, population 12,500, is one of the world’s smallest countries with a mainland measuring just 20km2.
It is considered especially vulnerable to climate change and has high rates of unemployment and health issues, a recent World Bank assessment said.
Unusually pure phosphate deposits — a key ingredient in fertilizer — once made Nauru one of the wealthiest places per capita on the planet.
Those supplies have long dried up, and researchers today estimate 80 percent of Nauru has been rendered uninhabitable by mining.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding