Protests worsened overnight across major cities of Indonesia, far beyond the capital, Jakarta, as demonstrators defied Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto’s call for calm.
The most serious unrest was seen in the eastern city of Makassar, while protests also unfolded in Bandung, Surabaya, Solo and Yogyakarta. By yesterday morning, crowds had dispersed in Jakarta. Troops patrolled the streets with tactical vehicles and helped civilians clear trash, although smoke was still rising in various protest sites.
Three people died and five were injured in Makassar when protesters set fire to the regional parliament building during a plenary session on Friday evening, according to a report by CNN Indonesia.
Photo: AFP
The mayor and other top officials were evacuated, it said.
A number of people were also injured in Bandung, about 2.5 hours by car from the capital, Mayor Muhammad Farhan said in a text message yesterday.
Four buildings, including a legislative guest house, were completely destroyed after people burnt them down, he added.
Photo: AFP
In Jakarta, several police stations were targeted by crowds, with one in the city’s east pelted with Molotov cocktails, according to a report by Detik.
Graffiti also filled the walls and sidewalks surrounding the Jakarta police headquarters, situated next to the Indonesian Stock Exchange in the central business district.
Portions of Jakarta’s inner city toll road remained shut yesterday after seven toll gates, including those near the national parliament’s headquarters, were burned. The Transjakarta citywide bus services were also completely shut after seven stops were burned overnight. Several subway stations were closed as a safety precaution.
Police posts were burned in Indonesia’s second-largest city of Surabaya, while demonstrations were held in front of police offices in Yogyakarta and Solo, local media reported.
At least 600 protesters have been arrested, reports said.
The unrest in Indonesia comes in a week of political tumult for the broader region after a Thai court ousted Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra for ethics violations. Indonesia’s Prabowo, who came to power 10 months ago, now faces a major test as he attempts to execute his agenda to supercharge growth in Southeast Asia’s largest economy.
The protests began on Monday due to rising discontent over jobs and wages, especially when contrasted with the perceived wealth of his lawmaker allies. The death of a motorcycle taxi driver, crushed by a police armored vehicle on Thursday evening, further fueled anger.
The president called for calm on Friday and urged the public to be vigilant against “elements that always want to cause unrest and chaos.”
Prabowo also criticized the police’s response, promised to hold officers accountable for the death of driver Affan Kurniawan and visited his family home on Friday night to offer his condolences.
Amnesty International called for a thorough and independent investigation of the police crackdown and the killing of Kurniawan to “ensure that all perpetrators, including those at command level, face fair trials publicly, and not mere internal or administrative sanctions,” the group said in a statement on Friday.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding