Cuban police rounded up a group of young people wearing white rubber wristbands stenciled with the word cambio, or "change," and held them for hours before releasing them without filing charges, a human rights activist said on Thursday.
The detentions, which took place on Monday, went little-noticed on the island but sparked an outcry three days later in Washington, where top officials and critics of Cuba's communist government said at least 70 youths had been arrested.
Elizardo Sanchez, head of the Havana-based Cuban Commission on Human Rights and National Reconciliation, said an unknown number of young people were wearing the bracelets when they were detained and taken to a police station in central Havana.
He said no formal charges were filed and that most of the group was released after a short time, but that a few may have been held until early on Tuesday. The youths, however, had to relinquish their bracelets, Sanchez said.
In Washington, US Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez on Thursday said that 70 Cubans were arrested. Gutierrez said that he himself wears the "change" wristband to support Cubans who want democracy.
"Their unjustified detainment is exactly why Cuba needs change now," Gutierrez, a Cuban-American and co-chair of the White House Commission for Assistance to a Free Cuba, said in a statement.
Sanchez said he "could not confirm or deny" reports that 70 people were arrested. The Cuban government, which tolerates Sanchez's commission and other dissident organizations but dismisses them as "mercenary" groups of the US, has not commented.
Government critics began wearing "change" bracelets several years ago, Sanchez said, but the movement seems to have gained little traction among the general population in Cuba.
US Senator Mel Martinez, a Florida Republican, condemned the detentions on the floor of the Senate on Thursday.
"It is unconscionable," said Martinez, who was joined on the floor by Senators Bill Nelson, a Florida Democrat, Texas Republican John Cornyn and New Jersey Democrat Bob Menendez.
In his first major address focused only on Cuba in four years, US President George W. Bush last week urged Cubans to "shape your own destiny" by ridding themselves of the communist government.
The Cuban government rejected this as tantamount to a call to take the island by force.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying