At least 10 African Union (AU) troops have been killed and 50 reported missing from their base in Sudan's western Darfur region in the bloodiest attack on the peacekeeping force, the AU said yesterday.
"At least 10 soldiers were killed, seven wounded and dozens are missing," AU Mission in Sudan (AMIS) spokesman Noureddine Mezni told reporters after the attack on Saturday night on Haskanita base in southern Darfur.
An AU statement said 50 personnel were missing after a "sustained attack by a large and organized group of heavily armed men" who broke into the camp with 30 vehicles, forcing AU troops to fight "a defensive battle."
"This is the worst single incident perpetrated against AMIS since the mission began in July 2004 and the first time that an AMIS [base] has been deliberately attacked in this fashion," it said.
The AU declined to speculate on who carried out the attack or elaborate on the nationalities of those killed.
AU-UN joint envoy Rodolphe Adada said he was "profoundly shocked and appalled by the outrageous and deliberate attack" which came just weeks ahead of peace talks in Tripoli in a bid to end what Washington has called genocide in Darfur.
"It is staggering to imagine what could possibly have been the intentions of those who perpetrated this wanton and unprovoked act," Adada said. "It is grotesque that such an act should be conceived at a time when all parties should be preparing for the upcoming peace negotiations in Libya."
The under-equipped African force of around 7,000 troops from 26 countries patrolling Darfur, a region the size of France, is due to begin being replaced later this year by a hybrid 26,000-strong AU-UN force.
Five Senegalese AU peacekeepers were killed in an attack in April.
"Such irresponsible attacks constitute a serious violation to the ceasefire agreement," the new commander of the hybrid force, General Martin Luther Agwai, said, implicitly blaming rebels. "Rebel groups, who indulge in such random violence and bloodshed, undermine their own credibility on any negotiation table."
Agwai also said it was regrettable that the attack happened ahead of peace talks due in Tripoli on Oct. 27 in an attempt to broaden a Darfur peace agreement signed by only one rebel faction in May last year.
"Despite the casualties and loss of life, we will persevere in our efforts to keep the fragile peace on the ground while all eyes are set on the negotiation table to ensure the peace is a lasting and sustainable one," he said.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Abul Gheit said that Saturday's attack showed the need to deploy the hybrid force, to which Cairo has offered to contribute 2,500 troops, "as quickly as possible."
The attack came as South African Nobel Peace Prize laureate Desmond Tutu was due in Khartoum heading a group of statesmen called The Elders seeking to help peace efforts in Darfur.
PASTA PUNCHLINE: Billy McLean’s spoof poking fun at misinformation on the coronavirus was meant for friends, but is being eaten up by frazzled Britons It started off as an ad-libbed joke for some friends in a soccer banter group and ended up being heard by vast numbers of Britons within hours. However, the man responsible for a joke WhatsApp audio clip that claimed the UK Ministry of Defence was about to requisition Wembley Stadium to cook the world’s biggest lasagna has said his viral success also shows the risks of believing everything that gets sent to you on the messaging service. Billy McLean, a 29-year-old Londoner who works in software sales, came forward to the Guardian to identify himself as the creator of the much-shared clip
‘AN HONORABLE TASK’: The brigade to Italy is the sixth contingent of doctors the nation has sent abroad to aid governments contending with the COVID-19 pandemic Cuba has dispatched doctors and nurses to Italy for the first time this weekend to help fight COVID-19 at the request of the worst-affected region Lombardy, it said. The Caribbean nation has sent its “armies of white robes” to disaster sites around the world largely in poor countries since its 1959 revolution, with doctors on the front lines in the fight against cholera in Haiti and against ebola in West Africa in the 2010s. Yet with the 52-strong brigade, this is the first time Cuba has sent an emergency contingent to Italy, one of the world’s richest countries, demonstrating the reach of
EASING RESTRICTIONS: After there were no new locally transmitted cases for three consecutive days, officials have started to relax limitations on freedom of movement China on Friday reported a record rise in imported COVID-19 cases as expatriates returned home from the US and Europe, sparking fears of a second wave of infections just as the country recovers from the initial outbreak. All 41 of the new confirmed cases in China were imported from abroad, the Chinese National Health Commission said yesterday, bringing the total number of such cases to 269. Beijing and Shanghai were the main entry points for the returnees, many of whom are students who were studying abroad, official reports said. They have come back after many campuses in the US and Europe shut
There are growing concerns for the health of Rokia Traore, a Malian singer who has been on hunger strike at the Fleury-Merogis Prison near Paris since she was arrested on March 10 on allegations of kidnapping her daughter in a child custody dispute. “I am very worried,” said Kenneth Feliho, her lawyer. “She is only drinking. She has not been eating for over a week and her immune system is weak.” Among those calling for the musician’ release are African stars including Salif Keita, Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo. Damon Albarn, who performed with her in the group Africa Express, wrote: “We demand,