Hundreds of thousands of people took part in disaster drills across Japan yesterday, with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe declaring a mock emergency and firefighters practicing rescue skills.
The exercise came just one month before Japan introduces an early quake warning system nationwide.
The central government held a drill at the prime minister's office, assuming the meteorological agency warns that a massive quake will strike within days.
"I issue a warning about a quake disaster. This quake is predicted to trigger very strong tremors and massive tsunami waves in wide areas," Abe, clad in a blue work uniform, said after a mock Cabinet meeting.
"Tremendous damage is expected ... Please be alert, follow instructions from relevant offices and act calmly," he said in an address to the nation.
Japan, which endures about 20 percent of the world's strong earthquakes, still has traumatic memories of a 6.8 Richter-scale tremor on July 16 that killed 11 people in the Niigata central region.
The nation holds annual drills to commemorate the deadly September 1, 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake, which left more than 140,000 people dead or unaccounted for in and around Tokyo, and prepare for the next big one.
The most frequently forecast scenario is one which could devastate the Tokai region from around Mount Fuji in the east to Mie prefecture in the west -- including the city which top carmaker Toyota Motors is based in.
The July 16 Niigata quake also shut down a sprawling nuclear power plant, causing more than 60 problems including fires and a small amount of radiation leakage.
Taking into account possible damage to nuclear facilities, the head of the government's nuclear safety agency joined the day's emergency government meeting for the first time this year.
Local governments also held drills for disaster scenarios.
The Tokyo metropolitan government held a drill in cooperation with US forces, assuming a 7.3-magnitude earthquake hit the capital.
An amphibious ship of the US military was deployed to help people go home after the quake's hypothetical devastation.
Central Japan's Shizuoka prefecture, predicted to suffer most in the Tokai quake, held drills involving 270,000 people.
Shizuoka Governor Yoshinobu Ishikawa had a video conference with Abe, who was at his office in Tokyo and briefed on quake damage.
TV footage from across the nation showed people relaying buckets containing water to put out fires and fire fighters chain-sawing collapsed makeshift houses to rescue quake survivors.
An estimated 627,000 people took part in exercises across Japan on yesterday, Jiji Press news agency said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told