The US administration is willing to negotiate with Russia on limitations to proposed US missile defense bases in Europe, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said on Tuesday.
No such negotiations have been set. But Washington is seeking to allay Russian concerns about the proposed system, which would be an extension of a network of radars, interceptors and command posts in the western US designed to shoot down a hostile long-range nuclear missile.
The system in Europe would be meant specifically to protect Europe from a missile launched from the Middle East. The US proposal has stirred controversy not only in Russia but also in Europe.
In Moscow, reviving Cold War-like rhetoric, the Russian military's chief of general staff warned that Russia might target elements of the system.
"If we see that the facilities pose a threat to Russia's security, the facilities will be objects for plans of our forces. Whether strategic, nuclear or otherwise -- that's a technical question," General Yuri Baluyevksy said.
His comments were among the harshest in months of Russian criticism of the US plans.
Gates, at a news conference with his Polish counterpart, ac-knowledged that Russia had concerns not only about an advanced missile-tracking radar the Pentagon wants to place in the Czech Republic, but also the associated missile interceptors that it would install in Poland.
The interceptors are intended to collide with a hostile missile during flight, destroying the target while still outside the Earth's atmosphere. The system's results during testing have been mixed.
Gates said the Russians' questions about the radar "are questions that we can answer." And he acknowledged Russian expressions of concern that the proposed interceptor base in Poland -- while not a threat to Russia now -- could later be changed in ways that would undermine the viability of Russia's offensive missile force.
"In terms of assurances that the system would not be changed years from now in a way that might be more threatening to the Russian deterrent [force], it seems to me that's a matter that could be negotiated," he said.
Gates met Polish Defense Minister Aleksander Szczyglo and later Polish President Lech Kaczynski. On Monday, he met Russian President Vladimir Putin and other government leaders in Moscow.
At the news conference, Szczyglo did not commit Poland to hosting a US missile defense base. He said Poland would have to be persuaded that the base would enhance Poland's security -- an apparent allusion to concern that it might trigger countermeasures by Russia.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told