President Evo Morales said his government can't afford to nationalize Bolivia's mining industry for now but restated his desire to eventually recover control of the nation's mineral wealth.
The announcement on Tuesday by Bolivia's first indigenous president represented a retreat from Morales' recent declarations that he would nationalize the industry, which ranks second behind natural gas as the country's top source of export income.
The change in plans did not dim Morales' oft-expressed faith that mineral wealth buried beneath Bolivian soil represents "the solution to the social and economic problems" of South America's poorest country.
"Bolivia is not poor," Morales said. "Bolivia has many riches, but they are poorly distributed. Now is the time to recover those riches and better distribute them in Bolivian society."
11th-hour deals
Over the weekend, the government succeeded in obtaining 11th-hour deals with foreign energy companies allowing them to continue operating in Bolivia under Morales' May 1 oil and gas nationalization.
On Tuesday the president said he'd work to revamp the mining industry just as soon as he hammers out final details of the energy contracts.
Morales hopes ultimately to see the state benefit more from mineral exports, which have increased dramatically this year. Bolivia shipped some US$485 million of mostly zinc, silver, gold, and tin during the first half of the year -- on pace to easily top last year's total mineral exports of US$536 million.
A crash in world tin prices during the 1980s prompted the Bolivian state mining company Comibol to lay off tens of thousands of workers. But more recently, rising demand, particularly from China, has helped to drive up Bolivian metals prices and encourage foreign investment.
Investment
Investment by international companies in Bolivia's mines more than tripled between 2003 and last year, jumping from about US$20 million to US$66 million, according to Bolivia's Mining Ministry.
Morales said the government plans to "totally consolidate" the hydrocarbons nationalization this year and has "a complete package waiting" for the mining industry.
"But we also recognize as a government we do not have the necessary economic resources to nationalize the mines," he said. "That does not mean the process has stopped."
Morales had proposed the mining industry nationalization after 16 people were killed in a clash early last month between rival bands of miners over the right to work the state-controlled tin mine in Huanuni, 290km south of La Paz.
But on Tuesday, Bolivian officials said the proposal had been downgraded to a plan aimed at generating new jobs and investment.
Bolivia's mining industry "needs to be reactivated, with the presence of the state, with the presence of the state-employed and independent miners, with new investments," presidential spokesman Alex Contreras said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told