A suicide bomber pulled his minibus into a busy market yesterday, lured laborers onboard with the promise of jobs and then blew himself up, killing at least 59 people in one the bloodiest attacks in Iraq this year.
The blast in the Shiite city of Kufa wounded 132 people and sparked clashes between police and angry protesters, dealing a fresh blow to Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's efforts to promote national reconciliation and avoid a slide toward civil war.
Maliki, a Shiite who has offered a dialogue with some Sunni insurgent groups since he took office in April, pledged to "hunt down and punish" those responsible.
PHOTO: AFP
Police at the scene were pelted with rocks by angry crowds, many of whom demanded that militias loyal to radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr take over security in Kufa, near the holy city of Najaf, 160km south of Baghdad.
The blast occurred about 7:30am across the street from the gold-domed mosque in Kufa, police Captain Nafie Mohammed said.
It happened shortly after the minibus had pulled out of the market with a group of laborers.
"He came asking for workers. When they boarded the minibus the vehicle exploded," a witness said.
Protesters gathered around the blackened mangle of vehicles. Blood-stained clothes were scattered amid the debris.
"We want the Mehdi Army to protect us. We want Moqtada's army to protect us," a woman dressed in a black abaya screamed.
Others chanted to the police: "You are traitors! You are not doing your job! American agents!"
Police then fired automatic rifles into the air to disperse the crowds and confused scenes ensued. Some civilians, who appeared to be Sadr followers, were seen carrying weapons.
"It is very chaotic now. The police are shooting in the air and the crowds are running," a reporter at the scene said. "Ambulances are racing around town."
A man with a bandage on his head in a Kufa hospital said: "Where are our human rights?"
The blast was one of the bloodiest since Maliki's national unity government of Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds took office in April on pledges to rein in sectarian bloodshed.
Violence between majority Shiites and Sunnis, dominant under former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein, but now the backbone of an insurgency against the US-sponsored political process, has pushed Iraq close to civil war and complicated US plans to withdraw troops.
Earlier this month, a suicide truck bomb ripped through Baghdad's eastern Sadr city slum, killing at least 62 people. The area is a stronghold of Sadr, who sometimes preaches in Kufa and is a rising political figure in Maliki's government.
The attack came a day after gunmen killed more than 50 people in Mahmudiya, near Baghdad.
Najaf Governor Assad Abu-Kalal blamed the Kufa attack on the "criminal Baathists and terrorists of Mahmoudiya."
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told