The remains of a US fighter pilot have begun their long journey home from a deep jungle ravine in Fiji, 64 years after his airplane disappeared during a World War II sortie.
A 12-member team from the Hawaii-based Joint POW and MIA Accounting Command on Wednesday accepted the remains of the man -- whose identity the US Air Force has yet to reveal -- from the men, women and children of remote Naivucini village, on Fiji's main island, Viti Levu.
"There is a family back in the United States that's been missing a family member for the last 60 years," Ambassador Larry Dinger, US envoy in Fiji, told the villagers during the emotionally charged handing over ceremony that left a number of villagers teary-eyed.
"Thanks to your effort, this family will now be able to close a sad chapter of their lives and that's very important," Dinger said.
When the pilot and his single-seater P-39 Airacobra fighter disappeared during a wartime mission on April 22, 1942, no traces were found despite an aerial search that lasted four days, US officials said.
Some 62 years later, Sailosi Delana and his cousin Paula Cagidomo stumbled on wreckage while hunting for wild boar on Aug. 28, 2004.
"We were following the Dokosamaloa creek deep into the jungle when Paula showed me the remains of what we then thought was the tail of an aircraft," said Delana, 33.
"We didn't see the remains of the pilot but I did see magazines of ammunition on the ground," he said.
He took 17 bullets back to the village and two days later reported their find to the police.
Team commanding officer Major Albert Tabarez and anthropologist Joan Baker agreed that from the wreckage and position of the pilot's skeleton, he could not have survived the crash.
His dog tag wasn't recovered but personal effects including a ring and a wallet containing a washed-out photo, were found at the wreckage site, according to locals.
US officials believe they know the identity of the missing pilot but aren't releasing his name or other details until the remains found in Fiji are identified through DNA tests and the family informed.
Tabarez said the identity of the pilot would be confirmed at a laboratory in Hawaii.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying