Police stepped up security yesterday outside a southern village where protesters were shot and killed, setting up roadblocks in surrounding towns even as the government tried to defuse local anger by promising to deal with grievances.
Police were stopping cars headed for the village of Dongzhou, the scene of the Dec. 6 violence, and checking the identities of drivers and passengers. Roadblocks were set up some 4km farther out from the village than on Monday.
It wasn't clear who police were looking for, but villagers said earlier that security forces were trying to catch people whom they blamed for the protest. Officials also have tried to keep foreign reporters away from Dongzhou, a coastal village northeast of Hong Kong.
The new security measures came as the government tried to mollify public anger by detaining the commander of force that opened fire on people protesting land seizures and promising to respond to local complaints.
The government says three people were killed, while villagers put the death toll as high as 20.
Villagers say the protest erupted over complaints that residents received little or no compensation for land seized by the government for construction of a power plant.
The violence last week was the deadliest clash yet in a series of confrontations in areas throughout China between police and villagers who are angry over land seizures for construction of factories, shopping malls and other projects.
Chinese leaders are alarmed at the growing rural tensions.
President Hu Jintao's (
On Monday, relatives and friends of villagers killed in Dongzhou held traditional mourning rituals, sobbing as they burned incense.
The government hung banners throughout the village appealing for order. One said, "Troublemakers will not win the hearts of the people."
Vehicles with loudspeakers blared warnings, telling people: "Don't make trouble, don't spread gossip."
Villagers earlier had hung up banners appealing to the Chinese government to intervene in the dispute, according to residents. They said those banners were torn down the day of the shootings and burned by police.
The government earlier defended the shootings, saying police opened fire after protesters armed with knives, spears and dynamite attacked the power plant before turning on authorities.
Villagers said the dispute had been brewing for more than a year.
By the government's count, China had more than 70,000 cases of rural unrest last year, many which are escalating in violence on both sides. The incidents have alarmed communist leaders, who are promising to spend more to raise living standards in the poor countryside, home to about 800 million people.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying