Their candidates have been assassinated, their party offices attacked, but hopes are mounting among Iraq's Sunni Arab politicians that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, will not make a serious effort to disrupt this week's national elections.
Despite threatening to block previous votes, this time the Jordanian militant, believed to be responsible for most of the suicide bombings in Iraq, has been silent.
"He's changed his strategy because he has discovered how confident and determined we are to vote," Azhar Abdel Majeed al-Samarrai, a leading candidate for the Iraqi Consensus Front, an alliance of the main Sunni parties, said on Friday.
But predictions of calm are always risky in Iraq. US forces are gearing up for a massive security operation for polling day on Thursday and the Iraqi government has closed the borders to non-Iraqi Arabs and declared a state of emergency in Anbar and Nineveh provinces, where the majority of the population is Sunni.
"We are not complacent," Major General Rick Lynch, a senior military spokesman, told reporters.
"The insurgency wants to disrupt the democratic process," he said.
His statement is in line with the administration of US President George W. Bush's long-standing juxtaposition of bullets versus ballots, and its repeated claim that the insurgency is bound to target any election.
But the clear desire of many Sunnis to vote this week has changed the dynamic within the insurgency.
"Zarqawi is in a dilemma because many Sunnis want to vote," a senior Western political official said this week.
The same dilemma confronts Iraq's homegrown insurgents, who rely mainly on the Sunni population for support and recruits.
A Sunni cleric from the influential Association of Muslim Scholars told worshippers at Baghdad's Umm al-Qura mosque yesterday it was a "religious duty" to vote this week.
"The date of December 15 is a landmark event. It is a decisive battle that will determine our future. If you give your vote to the wrong people, then the occupation will continue and the country would be lost," he said.
A crucial moment in the campaign for Sunni votes was the recent murder of Sheikh Ayad al-Izzi, a cleric and engineer who was a leading member of the Iraqi Islamic party and a candidate for the Iraqi Consensus Front. He had just left a campaign rally in Falluja on Nov. 28 when gunmen drove past his car and killed him and two colleagues. A huge crowd came to his funeral last week.
"I think Zarqawi will become smaller and smaller, especially after we lost this man from our list," Azhar Abdel Majeed al-Samarrai said on Friday.
Perhaps under pressure of mounting Sunni anger, al-Qaeda in Iraq took no responsibility for the murder and even put out a statement denouncing it.
Samarrai, a university lecturer in microbiology, was speaking at a conference of around 600 women supporters of the Iraqi Islamic party in the Baghdad suburb of Yarmuk on Friday. Their heads covered with scarves, they listened intently to poems, speeches and songs which were more nationalist than Islamic.
Even as it confronts Zarqawi, the Islamic party is a firm opponent of the US occupation.
"We will liberate our country from the enemy no matter how many troops he brings," a group of three men sang from the stage.
"The whole world will witness that," they sang.
Women clapped in time to the music. Many held up pictures of the murdered candidate.
"Rise up, Baghdad. Rebel, Baghdad. You will not be shaken by the forces of the enemy," another song went.
Ammar Wajeeb, another leading party member, told the audience that Iraqi women had been through a lot in the past two years.
"Your suffering has probably exceeded that of Palestinian women," he said.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying