An Israeli missile struck a house in the northern Gaza Strip yesterday, killing two Palestinian militants, Palestinian witnesses and medics said.
They said the air strike targeted the home of a member of al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, part of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah movement. It followed a Palestinian suicide bombing that killed five Israelis at a shopping mall on Monday.
The two militants were identified by medics as Iyad Qadas and Iyad al-Najr, leaders of al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades and involved in rocket attacks on Israel.
PHOTO: AP
Another militant was also wounded, the medics and witnesses said, as well as a four-year-old girl and five other Palestinians.
The three militants were believed to have assumed the leadership of the brigades in the northern Gaza Strip after an Israeli missile attack killed the group's chief, Hassan al-Madhoun, on Nov. 1.
The missile was part of an Israeli warplane and artillery attack on rocket launch sites in Gaza yesterday.
The new violence tested an already shaky ceasefire and a peace process on hold as Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon faced a campaign for re-election in a March poll.
The Israeli army said its aircraft had fired the missile to cut off an access road to sites from where militants had launched rockets at Israeli towns since a senior militant was killed in an Israeli air strike on his car on Wednesday.
The Popular Resistance Committees had vowed revenge for the death of field commander Mahmud el-Arqan, 29, on Wednesday's raid in the Gaza town of Rafah. Ten other people were wounded in that attack, including three children struck by shrapnel.
"Israel has opened the gates to hell by assassinating one of our leaders," said Abu Abir, a Popular Committees spokesman.
Israel also besieged a building near the West Bank town of Jenin and arrested two Islamic Jihad militants there, in a further retaliatory measure approved by the security Cabinet after Monday's bomb blast killed five in the town of Netanya.
The bombing had been claimed by Islamic Jihad, a different group from that to which el-Arqan belonged. Israeli military sources said he had collaborated with Islamic Jihad in launching attacks against Israelis.
Islamic Jihad called the bombing a response to previous Israeli attacks on its members.
The latest fighting has further diminished world hopes that Israel's withdrawal of forces from the Gaza Strip in September would lead to a quick resumption of peace talks.
Ahead of a national election on March 28, Sharon has to face down rightist political foes who accuse him of surrendering to the militants by relinquishing land Israel had captured in a 1967 Middle East War.
In other new, a Palestinian stabbed an Israeli to death at a military checkpoint in the occupied West Bank yesterday, Israel Radio said.
The Israeli was stabbed in the neck and the attacker apprehended at the Qalandiya checkpoint between Jerusalem and the West Bank city of Ramallah, the radio report said.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying