Pressure mounted for Hong Kong and Beijing leaders to respond to calls for full democracy after tens of thousands of protesters demanded the right to choose their leader.
The mass protest dealt the first major blow to Chief Executive Donald Tsang (
Many protesters wore black T-shirts and some carried huge, makeshift bird cages to suggest that democratic development has been curtailed.
The protesters and opposition lawmakers urged Tsang to talk to Beijing about people's demands for a roadmap specifying when and how the Chinese territory can have full democracy.
They attacked the government's bid to pass a modest political reform package in the legislature on Dec. 21.
Organizers said Sunday's protest drew 250,000 people, but police put the turnout at 63,000. An independent count by the University of Hong Kong said between 81,000 and 98,000 people took part.
In response, Tsang agreed to make limited changes to the proposal, which calls for doubling the size of the 800-member committee that picks Hong Kong's leader and expanding the 60-member legislature as steps toward greater democracy. But he ruled out the possibility of major concessions.
"I will see what I can do to perfect the package. But it will be on limited scale," Tsang said at a news conference after the rally.
"Both the central government and this administration are actively leading this community towards universal suffrage in an orderly fashion," he said.
"I am 60 years of age. I certainly want to see universal suffrage taking place in Hong Kong in my time," he continued.
Both the political opposition and the Hong Kong media blasted Tsang's response, saying far-reaching reforms are more pressing than ever.
"I don't think he answers the call for democracy of the 250,000 people that marched on the streets," Legislator Lee Cheuk-yan (
"We want to see concrete actions,'' he said.
"With such a strong and widespread consensus for a timetable on full democracy, why are the governments still muttering excuses?'' the mass-market Apple Daily newspaper wrote in a commentary yesterday.
Opposition to the government's reform package has reinvigorated the pro-democracy movement, which slowed down after Beijing rejected a quick transition to democracy last year.
Two pro-democracy marches helped trigger the territory's first leadership change since the handover in 1997. Both protests -- in 2003 and last year -- drew half a million people demanding the right to pick their leader and all lawmakers.
Currently, only half of the legislators are directly elected, while the other half are selected by interest groups.
Beijing has warned that a quick move toward democracy would threaten Hong Kong's future political stability and the economy.
Full direct elections were promised as a goal under its mini-constitution but no timetable was given.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying