Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is on the move, or at least that's the message he wants to send.
With Wednesday's attacks in his birthplace of Jordan, the al-Qaeda in Iraq chief signaled he has the capacity and desire to export his suicide-bombing campaign outside Iraq's borders.
Now, many in the already volatile Middle East worry his stated goals of toppling pro-American Arab rulers, erecting an Islamic caliphate and targeting Israel may be gaining momentum.
His threat is not new to the region, but the three fiery hotel blasts that killed 57 people in one of the Middle East's most secure cities sparked instant calls for regional and international efforts to fight terror.
Officials in Iraq repeated warnings that terrorism will only keep spreading in the Middle East, unless countries work harder to help Iraq end its raging insurgency.
Iraqi Defense Minister Saadoun al-Dulaimi warned Arab states that "if the Iraqi volcano explodes, no neighboring capital will be saved."
Most regional analysts and officials say they believe the US-led war in Iraq has in fact created and worsened -- not stamped out -- a breeding ground for terrorism.
"It's like a franchise operation. You have second-generation jihadist groups all across the world," US Senator Pat Roberts, a Republican from Kansas, said on Sunday. The threat that al-Zarqawi will set up terror fronts beyond Iraq's borders is "extremely serious."
In Iraq itself, violence continues despite repeated large-scale operations to try to wipe out terror strongholds. And the insurgency shows a level of resilience and even a spare capacity to send its forces abroad.
"Al-Zarqawi has proved a very fundamental point, that the Americans can't control al-Qaeda in Iraq," said Mustafa Alani, an Iraqi senior security analyst with the Dubai-based Gulf Research Center.
"Iraq is no longer a magnet attracting terrorism, but it is now exporting terrorist forces," he said.
Significantly, al-Zarqawi demonstrated with the Amman attacks that he has at least some Iraqis, and not just foreign fighters, on his side.
The three suicide bombers who died in the Grand Hyatt, Radisson SAS and Days Inn attacks were Iraqis, as was the wife of one of the men, who failed in her bid to blow herself up and was arrested on Sunday.
Some, however, cast doubt on whether al-Zarqawi had the ability to wage a wider war and whether the Amman attacks were a sign of worse to come.
"One event does not mark a trend, and Jordanian security repeatedly blocked prior attack attempts," said Anthony Cordesman, a military analyst at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.
"It is also important to note that it is far from clear that al-Zarqawi has a broad network," he said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told