After years of fearing a flood of Chinese immigration, Russians in eastern Siberia are slowly coming to terms with a migration flow that has become vital to the region's economic development.
"We've had a Chinese cobbler working near our house for five years now and he does everything quickly and for cheap, not like our Russian ones," said Anna Makarova, a Russian pensioner living in the Pacific port of Vladivostok, some 50km from the border.
"If they want honest work, they can come," Makarova said.
City and regional authorities say Vladivostok and the surrounding Primorye region can no longer do without Chinese immigration and have introduced a program to attract more Chinese immigrants.
"Look how hard-working they are," said Polina Mironova, a Vladivostok student. "Our workers have all gone home, but they'll keep painting walls until sundown."
Fourteen years after the fall of the Soviet Union, it is difficult to imagine Vladivostok without the sight of Chinese laborers repairing roads, houses and parks.
A first wave of immigration came to Primorye in the early 1990s, when the local population was struggling to get hold of the most basic necessities in this remote region, 9,300km east of Moscow.
The Chinese opened giant markets in Vladivostok and other cities in the region, where even the poorest could buy what they needed.
But the new arrivals got a wary welcome because of long-standing Sino-Soviet tensions that culminated in a bloody border clash between the Soviet Union and China on Zhen Bao island, known as Damansky in Russian, in 1969 that killed dozens and risked sparking a wider conflict.
During the 1990s, fear of invasion gave way to an acceptance of immigration.
Officially, nearly 14,000 Chinese have gained the right to work in Primorye so far this year, and the authorities are due to issue up to 18,000 work permits next year.
But the real figures are higher because of illegal immigration, say local officials, who deported 2,235 mostly Chinese illegal immigrants last year.
"It is important that the flow be controlled and not pose a threat to the well-being and security of local residents," said a recent local administration report, which vowed to stamp out illegal immigration but stressed the importance of immigrants for demographic stability.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told