North Korea called US Vice President Dick Cheney a "bloodthirsty beast" and said Thursday his recent remarks labeling its ruler Kim Jong-il irresponsible are another reason for it to stay away from six-nation nuclear disarmament talks.
"What Cheney uttered at a time when the issue of the six-party talks is high on the agenda is little short of telling [North Korea] not to come out for the talks," an unnamed North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said, according to the state-run Korean Central News Agency.
`hostile US policy'
Nearly a year since the last session of the six-nation talks, North Korea has refused to return to the table, citing a "hostile" US policy. More recently, it has also called for an apology for being labeled one of the world's "outposts of tyranny" by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
In a Sunday interview on CNN, Cheney called North Korean leader Kim "one of the world's most irresponsible leaders" who runs a police state and leaves his people in poverty and malnutrition.
US President George W. Bush himself has sounded a more conciliatory tone, referring to Kim this week at a news conference using the title "Mr."
Rice has also said the US recognizes the North as a sovereign nation, and US officials insist they have no intention to attack the communist state.
But North Korea said yesterday that the remarks by Cheney, "boss of the hawkish hard-liners, revealed the true colors of this group steering the implementation of the policy of the Bush administration."
The North also leveled a bitter personal attack on Cheney, saying he was "hated as the most cruel monster and bloodthirsty beast as he has drenched various parts of the world in blood."
Despite the tough talk, the North said it maintains its commitment to ending the nuclear standoff on the Korean Peninsula and seeking a peaceful solution to the current standoff.
"But if the US persists in its wrong behavior, misjudging our magnanimity and patience as a sign of weakness, this will entail more serious consequences," the spokesman said, without any elaboration.
`Rice in control'
This week, Pyongyang's state media also lashed out at Rice in harsh personal terms, implying she was in control of the White House.
Meanwhile, the North also yesterday criticized a US Defense Department decision to halt missions to recover remains of thousands of US soldiers from the Korean War and said it would disband its own search unit.
"In consequence, the US remains buried in Korea can never be recovered but are bound to be reduced to earth with the flow of time," a North Korean army spokesman said, according to KCNA.
Washington said it was halting the missions, which began in 1996, out of concerns for US troops' safety. Pyongyang denied they had ever been at risk and said the Americans had been able to remove remains "without having even a single fingernail hurt."
Also yesterday, the North called demanded the US withdraw 15 F-117A Nighthawk stealth fighters recently deployed here on a regular annual training exercise.