North Korea reached a modest deal with the South, but didn't ease its rhetoric yesterday against Seoul's allies.
South Korea prepared to start shipping 200,000 tonnes of fertilizer across the border today as part of an agreement reached between the two rivals Thursday night after three days of hard bargaining in their first face-to-face meetings in 10 months.
Seoul couldn't convince the North to return to six-nation negotiations on Pyongyang's worrisome nuclear weapons program -- or even mention the issue in a joint final statement -- but did obtain agreement on a followup meeting in Seoul in a month with Cabinet-level officials.
South Korean officials also considered it a modest victory that the final statement committed both sides to "cooperate for peace on the Korean Peninsula."
"The North Korean side listened with a very serious attitude, and what was delivered was a message that could affect the North's decision-making process," South Korea's Yonhap news agency quoted Unification Minister Chung Dong-young as saying.
The North made no change in its anti-US and Japanese rhetoric.
Its official Korean Central News Agency scoffed at Washington's recognition of the North's sovereignty as a "lie" and repeated claims that the Bush administration is plotting to overthrow Kim Jong Il.
It targeted Japan with even harsher criticism for suggesting it would seek UN sanctions if the North were to hold a nuclear test.
"Our republic has made it clear numerous times that we will consider any sanctions against our country tantamount to a declaration of war," KCNA quoted a commentary by the North's state-run Rodong Sinmun newspaper.
Noting relations between Pyongyang and Tokyo have soured to "a dangerous stage on the verge of explosion," the commentary said: "Our republic will respond with strong retaliatory measures to Japan's move to impose economic sanctions."
It was possible that Pyongyang was reacting to subtle pressure on a separate front.
The North has been dependent on outside food aid since the 1990s, when more than 1 million people are estimated to have died from famine.
The Wall Street Journal yesterday quoted officials at the US Agency for International Development as saying the Bush administration has halted all food-aid shipments to North Korea so far this year.
US officials said there was no link to rising diplomatic tensions, attributing the curbs instead to an inability to monitor how the assistance is being used, as well as competing demands from famine-ravaged countries in Africa.
Still, the mood was generally upbeat in Seoul. North Korea, which has shunned direct talks with the South on the nuclear issue, didn't walk out when South Korea repeatedly brought up the subject this week.
"Not only did the North listen, but they have expressed understanding of our government's stance, and said that it will give the issue more study," said Rhee Bong-jo, the South's chief delegate. "Those five words, `peace on the Korean peninsula' succinctly reflect the southern government's will and the North's understanding of our stance."
The North also is believed to be pondering an overture from Washington, which sent diplomats to a secret meeting last Friday at Pyongyang's UN office.
The six-nation talks -- involving the two Koreas, the US, China, Japan and Russia -- are aimed at getting the North to abandon its nuclear arms program. Pyongyang said Feb. 10 that it has nuclear weapons and would stay away from the talks until Washington dropped its "hostile" policy.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told