Libya confirmed that the leaders of Sudan, Egypt, Chad and Nigeria would join Muammar Qaddafi for a "mini-summit" yesterday on Sudan's Darfur region, which the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis. \nThe summit will deal with security, ending the fighting, and getting humanitarian aid to people displaced by the violence, Foreign Minister Abdel Rahman Shalqam said Saturday. \nThe violence has grown since February last year, when two rebel groups took up arms against the government. The conflict has since grown into a counterinsurgency in which pro-government Arab militiamen have raped and killed non-Arab villagers. \nRefugees \nNearly 1.5 million people have left their villages to flee the violence, and tens of thousands of people have died. Some refugees have crossed into neighboring Chad. \n"The summit is meant to discuss three issues: humanitarian aid to the displaced people, security, and reaching a final solution for the crisis," Shalqam said. \nA delegation of the smaller of Darfur's two rebel groups, the Justice and Equality Movement, traveled to Tripoli but will not be allowed to participate in the summit, which is only for heads of state, a foreign ministry official said on condition of anonymity. \nThe larger rebel group, the Sudan Liberation Army, indicated it would not attend the summit, although it said it had been invited. "We don't have time to go there without knowing why we're going there," said SLA spokesman Abdul Latif, based in Britain. \nThe summit was to begin on last night, after Muslims break their fast for the holy month of Ramadan. \nThe foreign ministers of all five countries were to prepare for the summit in meetings yesterday morning. \nIn Sudan, the government on Saturday questioned UN estimates that up to 70,000 people have died from hunger and disease in the Darfur region. \nDavid Nabarro, head of the World Health Organization (WHO) health crisis action group in Geneva, said on Friday the monthly death rate in Darfur was about 10,000, blaming malnutrition and disease. He said the figure of 70,000 did not take into account deaths from violence. \nUN data `incorrect' \nBut Foreign Minister Mustafa Osman Ismail said the information was not correct and when the government asked the WHO's Khartoum office for details, they said the information had not come from them. \n"When we checked with the office of the WHO here they told us they have no information. This information never came from them," Ismail said in Khartoum. "They are the ones who are on the ground here. They know what is going on." \nHe said the government would investigate whether the WHO was under pressure to issue false figures. \n"We are not going to leave these issues until they are tackled," he said. \nIn Geneva, a WHO spokeswoman said the figures announced on Friday were the best estimate based on available data.
MORE RESOURCES: The prime minister announced an extra A$1.1bn in health-related spending, of which A$150m would be spent on domestic violence support services Australia yesterday announced a nearly US$100 million boost in funding to tackle domestic violence after support services reported a spike in coronavirus-related family abuse. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said there had been a 75 percent surge in Google searches for help during the ongoing nationwide shutdown of non-essential services to curb the spread of COVID-19. Women’s Safety, a domestic violence charity in Australia’s most populous New South Wales state, has reported that more than 40 percent of workers had seen an increase in client numbers, with more than one-third of cases directly linked to the virus outbreak. In neighboring Victoria, women’s support
BOMA ARMY BASE: An official said military vehicles were destroyed and captured munitions were carried off in speedboats in the surprise early-morning attack Boko Haram has killed 92 troops in a seven-hour attack on an island army base, the group’s deadliest assault yet on Chad’s armed forces. Chadian President Idriss Deby told local television that he traveled to the scene of the attack on Tuesday to pay tribute to the 92 dead troops, saying it was the first time so many troops had been lost. The attack early on Monday in Boma is part of an expanding militant campaign in the vast, marshy Lake Chad area, where the borders of Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Nigeria converge. Boko Haram launched an insurgency in Nigeria in 2009, before
The Great Barrier Reef has experienced a third mass coral bleaching event in five years, according to Terry Hughes, the scientist carrying out aerial surveys over hundreds of individual reefs. With three days of a nine-day survey to go, “we know this is a mass bleaching event and it’s a severe one,” Hughes told reporters. It follows the worst outbreaks of mass bleaching on record killing about half the shallow water corals on the world’s biggest reef system in 2016 and 2017. Hughes, director of the Australian Research Council’s Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies at James Cook University and one of
WAITING FOR JUSTICE: Robert Levinson’s family said that those responsible would face justice, including those in the US government who had ‘left him behind’ The US government has concluded that retired FBI agent Robert Levinson, who vanished more than a decade ago, died while in the custody of Iran, his family and administration officials said on Wednesday. The circumstances and timing of Levinson’s death was unclear, but US National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien said that the US believes Levinson “may have passed away some time ago.” Hours earlier, his family said information that US officials had received had led them to conclude that he was dead, though it did not describe the nature of the information. The family said in a statement announcing Levinson’s death that it