Britain is embroiled in a fresh conflict with Iraq as it battles to quash global terrorism for ever, British Prime Minister Tony Blair declared in a stark relabeling of the situation on Sunday.
Sixteen months after US President George W. Bush declared that combat operations were over, the British prime minister used a joint press conference with his Iraqi counterpart, Ayad Allawi, to say that coalition forces were engaged in a "new conflict" now that the "first conflict" to remove former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein was over. But the battleground of this fight was global terrorism versus "the side of democracy and liberty."
"Whatever the disagreements about the first conflict in Iraq to remove Saddam, in this conflict now taking place in Iraq, this is the crucible in which the future of this global terrorism will be decided.
"Either it will succeed and this terrorism will grow, or we will succeed, the Iraqi people will succeed and this global terrorism will be delivered a huge defeat," he said.
Blair's fresh presentation of the chaos engulfing parts of Iraq came as the head of the UK army, General Sir Mike Jackson, admitted that British troops were now fighting "a counterinsurgency war."
With 300 people killed last week, including three Kurdish hostages beheaded yesterday, he said: "August was a very busy month and British soldiers were involved in war fighting."
The relabeling -- described by the Foreign Office as a "new language" -- also comes a week before the Labour conference, at which Blair can expect to face his party's fury at his handling of the conflict.
A YouGov poll at the weekend suggested that support for the conflict is at its lowest. A mere 38 percent of people now believe the war was right, and 52 percent think it was wrong, compared with 66 percent who supported the war, and 29 percent who opposed it, when US troops entered Baghdad on April 10 last year. Women in particular appear to have withdrawn their support, with only 30 percent thinking troops should remain, compared with 47 percent of men.
Blair adopted a conciliatory tone, insisting he did not want to prevent debate over "the wisdom of removing Saddam" and acknowledging the conflict had been "deeply divisive."
But he insisted every "sensible and decent person" should move on and recognize that the terrorists and insurgents were opposed to "every single one of the values we in countries like this hold dear."
"Now is not the time for the international community to divide or disagree but to come together ... and realize that the struggle of the prime minister and the Iraqi people, for liberty and democracy and stability, is actually our struggle too."
He rejected suggestions that the coalition and Iraqi forces were already losing the war against terror, but -- acknowledging there was "a real fight going on" -- indicated the scale of their difficulty.
"If we succeed in Iraq that's a huge blow to this form of terrorism. If we don't, then of course it's very serious.
"We are fighting and we will succeed because our determination and belief in our values is greater than the terrorists', and we are going to win."
Speaking at the Downing Street press conference, Allawi appeared more defiant than Blair in predicting "success against the forces of evil." He called for greater UN involvement, but insisted the January elections would go ahead, despite the continuing carnage.
"We are adamant democracy is going to prevail in Iraq," he said.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout