Ex-general Susilo Bambang Yud-hoyono is on course for a landslide victory over President Mega-wati Sukarnoputri after Indonesia's presidential election yesterday, according to an early forecast.
Yudhoyono was predicted to win 62 percent of the votes against 38 percent for Megawati, said the Freedom Institute, the Indonesian partner of the respected Washington-based National Democratic Institute (NDI).
PHOTO: EPA
The vote was Indonesia's first direct presidential election and a milestone in its sometimes violent transition to democracy since the fall of dictator Suharto in 1998.
Security was tight for the poll which came 11 days after a suicide bomber killed nine people outside the Australian embassy -- Indonesia's third major Islamic extremist attack in two years.
But the last of three elections this year in the archipelago of 18,000 islands seemed to pass without trouble, another step forward for a country that has often witnessed turbulent transfers of power.
Paul Rowland of the NDI said even though the figures only accounted for about half the sampled votes, the final outcome would not change much.
"Those proportions are probably very accurate," Rowland said.
"Quick counts" produced by the NDI in cooperation with a local group proved extremely accurate in the two earlier elections this year.
A full official count will take weeks as polls from more than 150 million eligible voters are tallied across far-flung islands.
Yudhoyono, 55, has consistently scored nearly double the support for Megawati in opinion polls taken since a July 5 first-round vote that saw the former security minister emerge as frontrunner.
With little to distinguish the candidates' broad policies on economic reform, tackling corruption and improving security, the presidential race has largely become a personality contest favouring Yudhoyono.
He was among the first to vote at a polling station in his village of Cikeas south of Jakarta.
"With the assumption that there will be no violations in the counting of the ballots, I do believe, God willing, that I can win this election," he said, thumbs raised in the air, after casting his vote.
Voting near her private residence in south Jakarta, a typically reticent Megawati arrived several hours after balloting began. Scores of people who turned out to see her were kept waiting.
Asked if she was confident of victory, Megawati only told reporters: "Yes."
Analysts say Yudhoyono's pedigree as an ex-military man, who led operations to capture Islamic extremists blamed for the October 2002 Bali bombings and a strike on Jakarta's Marriott hotel last year, may also have helped his prospects.
Among voters turning out was a frail 83-year old Suharto, who visited a polling station in a Jakarta suburb supported by a walking cane and family members.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout