South Korea is asking the US to delay plans to slash the number of US troops based on the divided Korean Peninsula during talks that started yesterday on the future of their military cooperation, a government official said.
Washington has notified Seoul of its plans to withdraw 12,500 of about 37,000 US troops stationed in South Korea by the end of next year, forcing South Korea's military to shoulder more responsibility for defending against any military aggression from North Korea.
Some 3,600 Americans have already been sent from South Korea to Iraq.
``We want the United States to delay the plan a little bit more, and we plan to make such request at today's talks,'' a Defense Ministry official said on condition of anonymity.
Local media have reported that Seoul wants the plan to be postponed by more than a year.
US Assistant Secretary of Defense Richard Lawless will lead the American delegation during the two-day talks in Seoul.
During talks last month in Washington, US and South Korean officials agreed to move all 8,000 US military personnel currently based in Seoul to another city south of the capital by the end of 2008.
US troops have been stationed here since the 1950-53 Korean War in a bid to deter any possible attack from the North.
The US soldiers, and an additional 650,000 troops from South Korea, remain on a war footing with the North because the war ended in a truce, not a peace treaty, meaning the two Koreas are technically still at war.
The planned US troop reduction is seen as part of Washing-ton's global effort to realign its forces so they can better respond to emergencies worldwide.
Earlier this week, US President George W. Bush announced a plan to withdraw up to 70,000 US troops from Cold War bases in Europe and Asia.
Opposition presidential candidate John Kerry blasted the plan to pullback on the Korean Peninsula, saying it would embolden nuclear-armed North Korea while the international community is seeking to persuade it to give up its nuclear program.
Bush administration officials argue that although the number of US troops in South Korea will decrease, the defense capabilities of the allies won't be weakened.
Also see story:
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout