Pakistan published photos yesterday of six terror suspects, including a top al-Qaeda operative accused of masterminding two attempts to assassinate the president, and offered a big reward for information leading to their arrests. \nThe advertisement published in the country's leading newspapers carried a photograph of Abu Faraj al-Libbi, a Libyan accused by President General Pervez Musharraf of being behind two failed attempts on the president's life last year. \nMusharraf escaped unhurt in both attacks in December, when terrorists tried to blow up his motorcade on a road near the capital, Islamabad. The first attack did not injure anybody, but 17 people died in the second attack. \nSince then, Pakistani police and security agencies have been looking for al-Libbi and other suspects believed responsible for the two attacks. \nOn Wednesday, Pakistan offered a reward of 20 million rupees (US$344,827) each for any information leading to the arrest of al-Libbi, believed to be a top al-Qaeda operative, and Amjad Hussain, who is best known as Amjad Farooqi, a Pakistani militant who also allegedly played key role in those two attacks. \nFour other suspects whose photos were published in the newspapers were; Mati-ur-Rahman, Mansoor best knwon Chota Ibrahim, Qari Ehsan and Omar Aqdas. It was not immediately clear why those four were being sought. \nThe advertisement gave no details about the nature of charges against the men and only said they are "most wanted terrorists" who are "wanted for acts of terrorism." \nThe latest government move came a day after the father of an alleged al-Qaeda computer expert filed a lawsuit challenging what he called the illegal detention of his son, who was captured last month. \nMohammed Naeem Noor Khan was captured by Pakistani intelligence agents July 13 in the eastern city of Lahore, and a search of his computers uncovered surveillance documents of five financial institutions in the US, prompting a terror alert in three US cities. \nLater, Khan led police to a hide-out of Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, a Tanzanian al-Qaeda wanted for the 1998 bombings of two US embassies in east Africa. Ghailani was captured July 25 after a 12-hour shootout in eastern industrial city of Gujrat. \nBabar Awan, a defense lawyer, told reporters on Tuesday that Khan's father has filed a lawsuit in a court at Rawalpindi, near the capital, Islamabad, "against illegal detention of his son." \n"Whatever the allegation against the boy may be, he has a right to be defended through a counsel of his own choice," Awan said. \nHe said that Khan's family had learned about his detention only through the media. \n"We don't know why and where he [Khan] is being held." \nAwan said the court is yet to act on the petition of Khan's father, who is a flight attendant with Pakistan International Airlines. \nUnder Pakistani laws, such lawsuits are usually admitted for hearing, and the government is asked to explain reasons for holding any particular suspect. A law also gives the government the right to detain any terror suspect for up to one year.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies