Hong Kong democrats yesterday accused China of jailing one of their members on trumped-up prostitution charges in a bid to disgrace a political movement Beijing has been feuding with for more than seven years.
Alex Ho, 46, a Democratic Party candidate in the city's upcoming legislative elections, was arrested last weekend in southern Dongguan and jailed for six months, party official Fred Li said.
PHOTO: AP
Garment salesman Ho was on a business trip when he was awoken in his hotel room by "public security" officers on Friday morn-ing, Li said.
They dragged Ho from his bed and beat him before planting women's underwear and condoms in his room. Officers then produced a woman they claimed was a prostitute, Li said.
The incident caused panic within the Democratic Party, which has been in a political tussle with China over the pace of democratic reforms since the city moved from British colonial to Chinese rule in 1997.
Li said Ho's detention was politically motivated.
"From the way that the mainland security police handled the case, there are a lot of suspicious points," said Li, a senior party official and fellow candidate.
"There are reasons why I suspect this is politically motivated; it is designed to demoralize the Democratic Party."
Ho's distraught wife was travelling to the southern Chinese city where her husband is being kept "in a hard-labor detention camp," Li said.
"She has absolute faith in her husband and believes he has been unfairly treated. This allegation is completely out of character. We are very disturbed and shocked by this, especially the speed with which he was jailed without trial," he said.
It is expected to make huge gains at the expense of parties sympathetic with the regime in Beijing.
Ho's incarceration would exclude him from contesting the Sept. 12 poll, however, denting the party's chances in a constituency considered crucial by the democrats.
Although a Dongguan public security bureau official said the case was being looked into, the Dongguan City Government said it was not aware of the incident.
Hong Kong's government said it had taken up the case, however, and would follow it "actively."
"We will talk to Mr Ho's wife before we contact the relevant security bureau -- they have not contacted us," said Hong Kong Secretary for Security Ambrose Lee (
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout